Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2022 e-tron GT
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read a similar post about a rear window possibly opening on its own.

I have found my trunk open 3 times now after returning to the car. It is always locked when I leave it. The first couple of times I just thought perhaps I hit the button while the Fob was in my pocket. Now I am beginning to wonder. You need to hit the button twice in pretty quick succession.

Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
eTron GT Fastback pending...
3 Posts
I just read a similar post about a rear window possibly opening on its own.

I have found my trunk open 3 times now after returning to the car. It is always locked when I leave it. The first couple of times I just thought perhaps I hit the button while the Fob was in my pocket. Now I am beginning to wonder. You need to hit the button twice in pretty quick succession.

Anyone else experience this?
Yes, this has happened to me several times when I brought the car home. At first I thought I had bumped the key fob, so I started being extra-careful with it. That’s not it. I told the dealer about it and asked if they had any bulletins; they said they didn’t. It hasn’t happened for a while now, though. Sorry this probably isn’t very helpful for you, but you’re not alone.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I sometimes find my boot has opened when I get back to the car. Only when I’m at home…. A couple of times it has happened when I’ve been in eyesight of the car. And, when the key was in my pocket and I’ve bent over or squatted down or something. It must be a rather inopportune pressing of the button

Bit of a design flaw with the key perhaps, but, mental note to be a bit careful with it.

·
Registered
e-tron 55 quattro 300kW Launch Edition 2019
10 Posts
Interesting thread, as I went out to my car about 5 hours ago and found the boot half open. Typically there'd just been a torrential downpour, but thankfully the car was dry inside. I used to think it was sitting down with my keys in my pocket that did it, but I've recently discovered it's actually bending down or squatting down that presses the buttons in my pocket the most, almost every time. Regardless, I now leave my keys next to me rather than in my pocket.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m fairly certain I know what is causing this. While I was washing the car yesterday, I notice it was easy to trigger the handsfree trunk open when I was cleaning under the rear. So, I bet this is the cause for mystery opened trunks. FYI, I noticed this morning and option in the MMI to turn off turn switch. Not sure which trunk switch it pertains to. Something worth trying though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had this happen the day after I received the car (I'm also the person who had the rear window open on its own!). I figured it was down to the button getting pressed by mistake while in my pocket - it seems that it doesn't take much to trigger the buttons, just a light press. So I no longer keep the keys in my pocket all the time, and haven't had it happen since. (I also bought a Faraday pouch to keep the keys in after reading about how thieves steal keyless cars, which should doubly prevent this happening by mistake.)

·
Registered
2022 e-tron GT
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had this happen the day after I received the car (I'm also the person who had the rear window open on its own!). I figured it was down to the button getting pressed by mistake while in my pocket - it seems that it doesn't take much to trigger the buttons, just a light press. So I no longer keep the keys in my pocket all the time, and haven't had it happen since. (I also bought a Faraday pouch to keep the keys in after reading about how thieves steal keyless cars, which should doubly prevent this happening by mistake.)
Which Faraday pouch did you buy. Does it prevent you from opening the door or starting the car when the fob is in the pouch?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Which Faraday pouch did you buy. Does it prevent you from opening the door or starting the car when the fob is in the pouch?
Yes, both - although I've only tested the latter so far. I actually bought two different types, although both come as sets of two:

The Defender pouch is what I'm using for now; the other is as a backup (I actually missed that they came as sets of two, so bought two as I wanted one for the spare fob as well). The Defender got some good reviews online, although Amazon reviews seem to suggest that most Faraday pouches can fail after a few months.

I tested both by putting the pouch with the keys inside right up against the door handle and trying to open the car. It wouldn't work until I opened the pouch and started pulling the keys out. So fingers crossed this should help protect against thieves and stop my boot opening by mistake!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts