Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an adapter so I could charge my car at work. As the chargers are ROLEC type 1 chargers.
I fitted the adapter ( £80 of Amazon) and the car would not charge. Car knows it’s plugged in. Says no power present on the dash. Checked the charger and the light has gone blue(not charging)
what am I doing wrong??

·
Registered
31 Posts
It could be the comms port in the adapter not connecting or not physically making a solid connection with the e-tron. If it works on the Tesla then it suggests the Tesla's charge port is able to establish a link to the charger via the comms link in the T1 cable & T1-T2adapter.

I've seen a few reports of some chargers not connecting very well with the e-tron and the workaround is to insert the cable in to the e-tron and then lift and apply pressure whilst the connection routine takes place (the clicking and whatnot). If you haven't already, might be worth doing that or cleaning the ports on the car in case there's debris blocking a clean connection?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,
I had read somewhere about the hold it up for 5 seconds.
it looks to me like the securing pin comes from the right. Tried that way too. No Joy.
rang Audi and they said no aftermarket adapters will work.
trying a different adapter tomorrow from a guy with an mg. I’ll post how I get on.

·
Super Moderator
129 Posts
My question is who in earth advised them to install type 1 tethered cables!?
Outside of I think 2 Nissans and another couple of odd vans and cars surely 90% of EV's are type 2..

Stupid question have you tried both charge points on the Etron, maybe the drivers side may have more luck as its a slightly different unit (still type 2) but with the added fast charge (CCS)

Second point: I am guessing that Audi do not sell the Type 1 > type 2 Adaptor?

I would be surprised if they did as IMHO is they are not that great an idea.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, tried both chargers at work in both ports. No joy.
the chargers are old, and I’m pushing the company to get them changed. They were fitted years ago to show they were a green thinking company.
we were promised a bank of them but they have not yet materialised.
audi guy told me there are no official type 1 to type 2 adapters

·
Super Moderator
129 Posts
Why not push for type 2? All the main work is done and that’s really cool that you have them at work. (We have one type 2)
It’s just a cable that needs changing. Minimal cost and labour. Any spark can do that. Seems a shame to put your car at risk using a third party adapter. If it was me I would even offer to pay for the cable! If Audi don’t make one then there is a reason for it.
I know the batteries are a solid piece of kit now but the port connections and interface won’t play nicely being tricked into taking massive power thrown at them from a flaky connection. I would be concerned about the possible long term effects of it. But I am super paranoid about things like this!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi etronukowner,
I am pushing for type 2 chargers at work. Seems to be me leading it. But you make a great point about just getting one swapped over. May suggest that.
However. I have found that the duosida adapters work. Ordered one from ev cables Type 1 > Type 2 Converter
It appears the compact ones don't work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts