Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My Etron 55 is due for delivery in early April but I've just been advised by Audi/PodPoint that it won't be possible to install the free home charger until May or possibly even June!!

My nearest public rapid charger is around 20 miles away and charging with a 13A 3-pin plug won't be practical as I can do circa 150 miles most days, which won't leave me enough time to charge overnight!

I've had a 32A cable and isolator switch installed into the garage in readiness for the PodPoint installation, so I was wondering if I got a 32A CEE32 'commando' socket installed into the isolator switch, could I then use the Audi home charger kit to charge at 32A/7kw in the interim?

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Not sure what chargers are available locally in UK, but I got ChargePoint 50A option installed at home recently and get nice 11.5kW charging rate from home network.

As far as trying to push more juice from Audi home charger ... I would have to look at what it is rated at but it might be worth switching the charger option to something that is available quicker and not risk your provided Audi charger.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'm in the US, so hesitate to make a recommendation. However, the Audi Charger does offer the option of charging at 50% of the max voltage. Here in the US, others have used it to allow them to use Dryer sockets to charge the car. There are other threads on this site that might give you some useful info. Here is one of them: Wall outlet in garage

·
Registered
360 Posts
Do you need the car as early as mid April - do you have one currently - can you say there is no point in having the car and paying towards it until you have the podpoint installed so delay the pick up date? (not that I would as been waiting long enough for the car).

Does anyone in your family work for the NHS or any other of the 'key workers' statuses out there - as I did read somewhere (but cant find it now) that Podpoint do prioritise though if you say / prove that. (Again, I have not tested this yet as waiting on VIN number, but my wife works for NHS so I will be asking the question when I get around to booking ours).

Reactions: BlueyVIII

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55 2020. Jaguar iPace HSE 2019.
182 Posts
Hi,

My Etron 55 is due for delivery in early April but I've just been advised by Audi/PodPoint that it won't be possible to install the free home charger until May or possibly even June!!

My nearest public rapid charger is around 20 miles away and charging with a 13A 3-pin plug won't be practical as I can do circa 150 miles most days, which won't leave me enough time to charge overnight!

I've had a 32A cable and isolator switch installed into the garage in readiness for the PodPoint installation, so I was wondering if I got a 32A CEE32 'commando' socket installed into the isolator switch, could I then use the Audi home charger kit to charge at 32A/7kw in the interim?
Yes. UK spec. You get a 32A Commando and a 13A cable for teh EVSE brick that comes with the car. The brick needs switching over to 100% (manual tells you how) otherwise it defaults to 16A on the commando. Plus a Type 2.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies guys...

Bhuna50 - I actually work for the NHS and this car is being supplied by the NHS (via salary sacrifice). My circa 150 miles per day is spent travelling between hospitals and health centres for NHS purposes, but this seemed to have little bearing on getting the PodPoint installed as a priority.

@GrahamS - That info was just what I was looking for. I can easily get a 32A commando socket installed using the cabling which I've pre-installed for the PodPoint. Happy to use the Audi EVSE brick in the interim.

I feel a bit more re-assured now and looking forward to getting the car again! :)

·
Registered
360 Posts

Bhuna50 - I actually work for this NHS and this car is being supplied by the NHS (via salary sacrifice). My circa 150 miles per day is spent travelling between hospitals and health centres but this seemed to have little bearing on getting the PodPoint installed as a priority.
Thats a shame. I assume you stressed to Podpoint themselves you dont have access to any other vehicle and need this for NHS work etc.

COVID-19 update: Our new approach to installs | Pod Point (pod-point.com)

Reactions: BlueyVIII

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats a shame. I assume you stressed to Podpoint themselves you dont have access to any other vehicle and need this for NHS work etc.

COVID-19 update: Our new approach to installs | Pod Point (pod-point.com)
Yes, made them aware of my circumstances...to be fair they did prioritise it but May/June was still the earliest they could do! It may be that a combination of COVID working restrictions and the number of key-workers ordering EV's means their installation teams are running at max capacity. Their response for the interim was to charge with the 13A 3-pin option which I explained wasn't very practical. Their next option was to delay delivery, which I could possibly investigate but I've been waiting since October so that would be the very last resort...

Once I get it I'll make a post about the 32A commando charging experience, in case someone has a similar query in the future...

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55 2020. Jaguar iPace HSE 2019.
182 Posts

@GrahamS - That info was just what I was looking for. I can easily get a 32A commando socket installed using the cabling which I've pre-installed for the PodPoint. Happy to use the Audi EVSE brick in the interim.

I feel a bit more re-assured now and looking forward to getting the car again! :)
No prob. The brick is supplied with two cables, you might have to remove the 13A and install the Commando cable. Snap the connector closed. There might be a screw holding the snap connector in place. Once it's plugged in you can change the power level using the upper button on the EVSE.

This is actually a great solution - the best granny charger out there i think.

Power levels etc are in the manual, page 114 in my version.

·
Registered
360 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just to advise, I didn't get the brick or the commando cable. Still in dispute with Audi about why I have these missing cables. Audi UK say they no longer supply the CCS (brick) or the Industrial Cable!

·
Registered
50 Posts
That is an interesting twist. Any reasons apart from "we're going cheap"?
God knows. The picture from the trunk is what I was given on collection. It's missing the brick and although there is a commando cable, it has the interchangeable head that plugs into the missing brick.

After complaints, I was sent two further charger units, that are bricks, but are VW generic and are only 3 Pin (i.e. UK mains). They can't take interchangeable heads.

I then complained again and was sent another duplicate type 2 charger (which I was given to start with).

Audi literally do not know what this car should come with and I now have 2 x generic bricks 2 x Type 2 cables, 1 x useless commando plug.

Swear if there was an Audi Product manager on these forums they should (hopefully) be having kittens as to how poorly supported these cars are.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
I cannot complain with Audi in US, honestly. My brick was finicky, all it took was a trip to local dealership with the support case number, and got it replaced on the spot. With the wall charger in my garage, the brick rides nice and comfy in the frunk anyway.

As a total side bar - there are used bricks to be had on eBay for decent money. It seems people sell these the moment they get wall chargers. Kind of shortsighted, but I am not the one to judge.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow...the plot thickens!! The Audi UK website is pretty clear that the CCS and the 32A “industrial” cables are supplied as standard! I’m going to contact the supplier tomorrow and reiterate that my acceptance of the car is contingent on them confirming the Audi CCS and 32A cable will be supplied with the car!

Here’s the link to the Audi UK website where it states what’s included with the car -> charging

Might be worth showing the “What charging equipment comes as standard in an Audi e-tron?” section to your dealer.

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Oh man, I've sent them screen prints, links to the videos, pictures of the units, etc, etc.

Raised an Audi UK complaint for this and other failures with the car, for the cable someone there said it was resolved, low and behold another Type 2 cable arrived in the post. It's like they can't even read their own website.

Still no CCS or Commando Plug: 6 months after collection.

Reactions: mmmzon

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Sounds like an incompetent dealership. Any other Audi shops around you? The issue is for Audi to solve, irrespective of which one you go to.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds like an incompetent dealership. Any other Audi shops around you? The issue is for Audi to solve, irrespective of which one you go to.
I'll keep trying. Audi UK said it was sorted and got another wrong cable sent, so since the Mothership is not able to understand, I have some sympathy for the dealers.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
I have some sympathy for the dealers
I have none. Either I got lucky, or just local dealership is decent in terms technical kung fu. I assume you spoke with someone in Audi UK and they were the ones messing the order for the charging brick?

·
Registered
360 Posts
What date did you pick your car up @Electric have you asked on here for anyone picking it up after yours what they received.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts