Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55 2020. Jaguar iPace HSE 2019.
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

I'm an experienced EV owner with loads of successful DC Rapid charges (ie CCS) under my belt in my iPace, I'm confident I know what I'm doing. But yesterday for the first time tried DC charging the eTron.

Problems problems problems.

Electric Highway (yes OK I know) at Fleet S Bound. 5 attempts. Only one CCS charger so couldn't try the other stall.
Attempt 1. Failed to connect
2. Successful connection, charged for a few minutes. Then 'Disconnected by vehicle'
3. Failed to connect
4. Successful connection, charged for a few minutes. 'Disconnected by vehicle' again
5. Failed to connect.

Gave up. This looks like the return of the old EH 'disconnect after a few minutes' problem.

Instavolt at Locks Heath, I've used this site numerous times in the iPace, and many other Instavolt sites with great success.
Attempt 1. Charger won't recognise the chargemaster iPhone wallet (RFID).
2. ChargePoint app seems to work fine but fails to initiate charge.
3. Started using Instavolt App. Brief charge < 30 seconds, then fails. 'Charger Error 62'
4. Restarted, Contactless not working. Tried 2 x credit cards and the chargemaster iPhone wallet (RFID) again. Nothing.

Change to Stall 2.
Attempt 5. Chargepoint App successfully manages to initiate charge.

So that was 10 attempts on three units using 6 different payment methods.

Was it me? Or was 4 April 2021 problematic for others?

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
181 Posts
Wow @GrahamS that's a worry.
I'd personally disregard the EH charger issues. Its possible that particular charge point hasn't received an update to communicate with the etron. They are really old units and the etron is possibly a vehicle thats too recent. Or its just as crap as most of the other EH chargers out there. I hope the Gridserve collaboration renews the units as quick as they say they will.

Instavolt issues are rare as you know. I'd take a lot of comfort from that 2nd charger connecting straight away. To me it feels like you encountered 2 faulty units rather than a problem caused by you or the car. But as I say I'd be worried and would take the car to a 3rd DC charger, preferably a different provider too just to see if there is something funky going on with the car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TBH part of my concern is that I use both of those DC chargers (ie Fleet EH southbound and Locks Heath Instavolt) regularly with the iPace and it's been fine. These locations are on our regular route to/from our boat on the R Hamble, so we drive it numerous times a year. And the iPace is not renowned to be particularly CCS-compatible...!

I've decided that next weekend we'll run the eTron down to about 50% so plenty in reserve, then go try the 6 different rapids within about 20 miles of home. We have Gridserve Braintree, Shell, Polar / bp pulse, CYC, Electric Highway and Instavolt all available nearby. An afternoon will see that lot tested.

I'll report back....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please do, I'm particularly interested in the Braintree place.
Braintree is well worth a visit, I've been there a few times and helped do some testing in the iPace when it had just opened.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update on this. I'm doing the testing today. Got six rapids lined up from six different providers. Car is currently 60% SOC, will be down to about 45% by the first charger. 10 minutes on each should tell me whether it's working...!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hopefully be a nice day for a drive too - enjoy and hope it works out ok.

Reactions: GrahamS

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
181 Posts
Oh good stuff. Bit chilly today but the battery will be nice and warm especially after the first charge onwards. Good luck.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh good stuff. Bit chilly today but the battery will be nice and warm especially after the first charge onwards. Good luck.
Yes, although this isn't about charging speed really. It's about whether the car actually is properly compatible with the various chargers out there. My wife's the main driver. No way could she possibly have gotten it working last weekend, so we need to do the testing. If I get more compatibility problems today it's going in for attention.

Anyone know what the latest software / firmware revisions are and how to find out what the car has?

·
Registered
91 Posts
You can find out what your car has installed by going to....

SETTINGS > GENERAL > VERSION INFORMATION

Not sure of the latest software but my car is only a month old so may (should) be up to date. I'll have a look.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, Results.

Summary: Perfect but incomplete.

Detail.
  • Gridserve Braintree: worked perfectly. Contactless. 350kW unit. About 130kW achieved within a couple of minutes. An outstanding experience again at this place including the attended service. World class.
  • Polar Clavering: worked perfectly although touchscreen a bit dodgy. Contactless. 50kW unit. 50kW achieved from start.
  • Shell Fourwentways: worked perfectly although very hard to use the touch screen in the rain, and I didn't appreciate getting wet. Parking bay is too small. Contactless. 150kW unit. 141kW achieved within a couple of minutes.
  • ChargeYourCar Saffron Walden: worked perfectly. No contactless available - the App is required and an account with a linked credit card, very clunky and a terrible interface on the charger. Disappointing app for CYC but in its defence it's an old unit and it did work. 50kW unit. 50kW achieved from start.
So it's very satisfying that these all worked OK. Frustrating I couldn't test the two that we had trouble with last week:
  • Instavolt Braintree. Unable to test, located in a locked Bannatyne Gym carpark. Presume will reopen when gyms reopen.
  • Electric Highway, Birchanger. Unable to test - unit in use, only one CCS connector here. Carpark rammed and the site layout is awful, the epitome of a terrible MSA

Gratuitous screenshot from the Shell charger. Impressive.

·
Registered
220 Posts
How inconsiderate of someone to be using the EH one - did they not know you were on a mission for us all here :D LOL

Good news re all the ones that you did manage to get to though - glad things have worked out ok for your wife - did you get her to charge it up so you know she can do it and she is happy with how it all works or not? I know what will be happening with our car - I will be the one having to charge it all the time. In two years of having the Volvo, she has not put fuel in this thing once. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How inconsiderate of someone to be using the EH one - did they not know you were on a mission for us all here :D LOL

Good news re all the ones that you did manage to get to though - glad things have worked out ok for your wife - did you get her to charge it up so you know she can do it and she is happy with how it all works or not? I know what will be happening with our car - I will be the one having to charge it all the time. In two years of having the Volvo, she has not put fuel in this thing once. :)
I think so. She wasn’t with me today but we’re going to be doing a repeat run sometime so she can practice it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts