Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
To be delivered - Typhoon gray Audi e-tron 50 Technik quattro
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm still waiting a confirmed delivery date, which is supposed to be in April. Pod-Point have emailed to start the order process, but as I'm new to EV's I'm wondering which is the best Pod-Point option to go for, tethered or universal charger? The way things are going, my wife will be going with an EV in a year or two and I'm thinking the universal option would be best to cater for a second unknown EV.

So, next decision is what type of cable for home charging, type 1 or type 2? Any advice for a complete EV newbie?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Unless you don't like the aesthetics of how the Podpoint looks with the cable wrapped around it then get tethered. I'm not sure there'll be any new model EV that doesn't use Type 2 these days as well so that'll future proof you and cover you for any Audi. By getting tethered you effectively get a cable worth a couple of hundred quid for free too.

The alternative is untethered and then you'd either have to buy a spare Type 2 cable to have for home charging that you unplug and wrap up and put away every day, or put the wet cable that comes with your EV (it is the UK after all) in your boot every morning after charging.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a tethered type 2 Pod Point installed last week. Seems the obvious choice really.

My car is due in July so I can’t comment on how it works!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both, I've gone for the tethered option based on your advice.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I never even considered the tethered option, I just use the cable in the front boot to plug in and then put it back in the morning! Yes, it's usually wet but it would be wetter staying outside all the time anyway! I thought it was slightly more secure to not have a connected cable, as it is anyone can rock up to my house and charge their car with my electricity anyway, at least I'm not giving them a cable to use too!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never even considered the tethered option, I just use the cable in the front boot to plug in and then put it back in the morning! Yes, it's usually wet but it would be wetter staying outside all the time anyway! I thought it was slightly more secure to not have a connected cable, as it is anyone can rock up to my house and charge their car with my electricity anyway, at least I'm not giving them a cable to use too!!
@tjc1800 Fair point about the security aspect, although I have ordered the key lock. I would have thought there was some kind of app security with the chargers as well?

·
Registered
30 Posts
You can set the charge point to charge at specific times. Just set the timer to only be active when you know your car will be parked next to the charge point.

·
Registered
78 Posts
As above, the only security on the podpoint app is to set a timer, but you can switch it off from the meter box if required. I didn't bother with the keylock myself, as it just plugs into the circuit board and that can be disconnected by simply unscrewing and removing the charger cover!

As an aside, when the engineer fits it make sure they show you how to setup a new wifi connection if you change your router, it's a horrible process to reconnect!!

Podpoint were really good before fitting, but I have some ongoing issues and they have ignored every email since November. They don't care once they get their money. If I moved house and had to fit a new one it wouldn't be podpoint.
Enjoy the new car anyway, I love my Etron!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was set on having a Hypervolt or an Andersen installed, but we recently decided to move house so it didn’t make sense. Might as well go for the free Pod Point! As soon as we move, the Hypervolt/Andersen will be installed!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was set on having a Hypervolt or an Andersen installed, but we recently decided to move house so it didn’t make sense. Might as well go for the free Pod Point! As soon as we move, the Hypervolt/Andersen will be installed!
I got an Andersen here which works perfectly. The dealer, knowing my intentions, kindly informed me that Podpoint will quite happily send out the charger without installation as Audi have paid for it, so I called up Podpoint and just said I'd arrange my own install and they sent it out no problem. Original intention was to put it on eBay but I decided to get it installed at my parents place in Ireland for when I go to visit instead. So if anyone is entitled to the free Podpoint but have your own charger already don't loose out on getting it for free.

·
Registered
71 Posts
As above, the only security on the podpoint app is to set a timer, but you can switch it off from the meter box if required. I didn't bother with the keylock myself, as it just plugs into the circuit board and that can be disconnected by simply unscrewing and removing the charger cover!

As an aside, when the engineer fits it make sure they show you how to setup a new wifi connection if you change your router, it's a horrible process to reconnect!!

Podpoint were really good before fitting, but I have some ongoing issues and they have ignored every email since November. They don't care once they get their money. If I moved house and had to fit a new one it wouldn't be podpoint.
Enjoy the new car anyway, I love my Etron!!
Are there really people driving up to houses in EVs armed with screwdrivers dismantling podpoint's and waiting all night for a free charge?! Hope not! 😂

·
Registered
78 Posts
Are there really people driving up to houses in EVs armed with screwdrivers dismantling podpoint's and waiting all night for a free charge?! Hope not! 😂
Probably not to be honest .... but you never know!! I think my wife thinks there is though, she says the charger on the front of the house just advertises stealable leccy...!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've heard several cases of chargers themselves being stolen off the walls of peoples houses but never heard of anyone plugging in.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think that the whole concept of parking a highly traceable car on someones drive for several hours on the off-chance that the charge point has power applied in order to steal a few quid's worth of electricity all on the basis that no one living in the house notices a strange car parked outside their garage is bizarre.

All when they could just go to Tesco and get it for free anyway.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've heard several cases of chargers themselves being stolen off the walls of peoples houses but never heard of anyone plugging in.
I had mine installed in garage and will fix the port outside for that reason. I thought longer term As the Ev market grows these are gonna be in demand more as we know and are expensive now so my thinking was sooner or later these are gonna start getting stolen and be on eBay at £400 as there’s clearly value and when the grants stop this year. Evermore so I reckon, if you have the ability to, I would seriously consider it. Shame I know, says what world we live in now..!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Obviously my comment was partly in jest, but when the price cap is raised later this year and the price of electricity triples who knows what might happen!! I'm with Bulb that has gone bust, so living on borrowed time and the price I will have to pay is going to be a shock I know!

However, if someone does park on your drive in the UK there is surprisingly not much you can do about it. The only option is to sue the owner of you can find them, costing you time and money. The police won't do anything as it's a civil matter, and if you damage or move it you are liable to be prosecuted for criminal damage.

·
Registered
2021 E-Tron 50 Black Edition
55 Posts
Just read the original post. We went for universal podpoint since my wife’s car needs Type 1. A point to note: my wife’s 2015 car is on its second charger cable. When it failed we ordered a replacement, it came the next day. If the tethered cable fails don’t expect you’d get it replaced next day?? And at least we can still charge the other car in the meantime.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts