Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all.
I was in the local Audi service centre yesterday for a repair to the passenger side charge flap. Whilst there I enquired about a retro-fitted towbar.

The quote was £1600 including parts and labour (5 hours).

Personally, it's not worth it for my circumstances right now. The intention was - given lack of roof rails on the Technik 50 - to have the towbar installed to attach a tiltable rear cycle rack and storage box. With the rack and box added that would take the cost of the whole solution to £2000+ .

Posting here in case anyone else was curious as to the price. This was my first time at an Audi service centre and wow. Excellent facility, excellent service...probably explains some of the quote's high cost!

Thanks.

·
Registered
346 Posts
For OEM parts and install I would say that's reasonable. Have you looked into aftermarket options?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow! I was thinking of doing the same as the wait for factory rails was too long. i’m pretty sure someone will make a non rail roof fitting soon, it was the same with my current discovery sport, it took about 18 months after launch. Mine (for the disco) are an Italian brand Cruz, slow to fit, but better than nothing :) I wouldn’t expect anything from Thule though as I think they make the OEM ones, so no incentive. The roof takes 75kg with or without rails, and the construction looks similar to the disco, so I can’t see why a manufacturer couldn’t design one. Mine are fine even with a panoramic roof - roof box and two bikes

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By 'eck @EeebygumTron I do believe you have solved the problem! Many thanks. I think I'll get a pair as well. Well played!

@audifan you may well be right. This is my first Audi and first foray into towbar/hitch pricing, I guess the quote blew any naiive maximum budget figures I had in mind. Also the intended use would be for a storage box and cycle rack for the occasional road trip and therefore not worth the outlay personally. Perhaps it'd be a different story if I wanted to actually tow something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts