Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting a Juicebox or ChargePoint Home charger but does anyone just use the charger that comes with the car and have it mounted in the garage?

Is a hard-wired Level 2 charger any benefit?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I got a receptacle installed in my garage and leave it plugged in most of the time there. Unplugged it for my road trip, in case I needed it however, I level it plugged in to the garage. It is not mounted just hanging and I have no issues.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I have used the Audi provided charger since I got my car in Dec 2019. Has worked fine for me and, as Waynerm002 states, I just unplug it and toss it in the frunk for any longer trips. Otherwise, I would simply have a perfectly good charger rotting in the frunk. A level 2 charger (like the one Audi provides) that can use the NEMA 14-50 plug must be rated below 50 A. 50A and above generally requires hardwiring. The house circuit needs to be rated at 20% above the rating for the charger unit, since it is being utilized for "continuous" use; thus, to use my Audi 40A charger, I had to have a 50A circuit installed and I could use the NEMA plug outlet, making it portable.

If you were to go with a 50A charger unit, then you would need to install a 60A circuit, an added expense, and hardwire the unit.

Be aware that you will almost NEVER need to charge from 0 to 100% at home. (Audi recommends charging only to 80% for everyday use, going to 100% only for trips. Also, for EV battery health, more frequent shallow charges are better than less frequent deep charges. EV batteries do not suffer from "charge memory".) Most commonly, at home you will be charging only from 50 to 80%, or so. That typically takes less than 4 hours with my 40A charger; if you were to go with a 50A charger, you might trim less than an hour off of that. In the end, I decided the extra cost of a commercial unit above 50A along with the added cost of a 60A wall circuit (as opposed to a 50A wall circuit) was not worth the trouble.

Should you stick with the Audi provided charger? As I said, it has worked fine for me since Dec 2019. The only reason a commercial charger might be worth it to you would be if you felt you needed some of the additional charging info it might provide, or if you live in an area where you need the commercial charger in order to take advantage of special EV specific electricity rates.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Good hard-wired charger is about 20% faster, which might come handy occasionally.

Also, it allows you to always keep your Audi-supplied charger in the car.
You never know what could happen and when you’ll need it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When our 2019 was new to us, I spent lots of time studying up on the various available home chargers. Talking to our local electrician, who was scratching his head as I described all the chargers on the market, I soon took his advice - which was that our best bet was to simply make a circuit available for our Audi and use the provided Audi charger. Simplest solution at our house.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts