Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi team;

Once the lockdowns are over, we're looking at doing trips to Europe and ideally staying at hotels that have charging available. Most of these hotels seem to have gone for Tesla destination chargers.

Does anyone know if we can use the Tesla destination chargers ? I've seen reference to TeslaTap connectors on the forum - Do I need to get this adapter on top of the supplied charging cable ?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
279 Posts
The Superchargers in the UK/Europe are all Type 2 CCS but I think the destination chargers largely use the Tesla connector. You can verify that on Plugshare.

I have used TeslaTap in the US and it works great. Often Tesla destination chargers output higher rates, so it’s an added bonus even if J1772 is available. Just don’t set a charge timer as it will conflict with the EVSE.

Hope this helps somewhat.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi team;

Once the lockdowns are over, we're looking at doing trips to Europe and ideally staying at hotels that have charging available. Most of these hotels seem to have gone for Tesla destination chargers.

Does anyone know if we can use the Tesla destination chargers ? I've seen reference to TeslaTap connectors on the forum - Do I need to get this adapter on top of the supplied charging cable ?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Joe,

I was thinking along the same lines and from what I can gather Tesla often installs a non-Tesla specific Type 2 charge point alongside its Destination chargers. Worth reading the below also. Now when I see a hotel has a tesla destination I look to see whether one of the chargers says "Type 2". Also on Plugshare you sometimes get a photo of the charger and the Type 2 has a different grey sign.

Hope this helps and happy travelling.

·
Registered
360 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Seeing as I kicked off the thread, I figured I might as well send through an update.

We've just had our first run at using the Tesla destination chargers.

Firstly, the destination chargers seen to be temperamental. Out of 3 sets of chargers, only 1 worked.

The one that did with work, I had to reset it (check the left hand side) before it worked.

All in all, lesson learnt is to plan ahead - we lucked out here in getting one of the chargers to work. Always gave a plan b!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts