Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tesla is now adding CCS charging plugs to their charging stations. Can I use those Tesla charging stations with CCS plugs for my 2021 e-tron? Is there a converter to CCS charging for Tesla chargers like there is for the J1771? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can only use the Tesla destination chargers, not the Super Chargers. You’ll need an adapter.
Thanks for the prompt reply...original Super Chargers didn’t have a second CCS charger option. The new or converted ones will. Can the Tesla chargers with CCS plugs be used on my Audi? I understand I can convert Tesla destination chargers to J-1771 use with a converter. If use a J-1771 converter on Tesla destination chargers at what rate will it recharge? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
428 Posts
This is the first I’ve heard about Super Chargers having these plugs. I just did a Google search and found nothing. Do you have a link. I can’t imagine why Tesla would open this up to other companies when they’re not being paid. There’s no reason for a Tesla to need a CCS plug at a Super Charger.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-tron Prestige, Glacier White Metallic
80 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yeah,, that article is over a year old and addresses something very different. I think you may have misinterpreted something because I can’t find anything about Tesla Super Chargers having/allowing CCS charging. It just makes no sense.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the first I’ve heard about Super Chargers having these plugs. I just did a Google search and found nothing. Do you have a link. I can’t imagine why Tesla would open this up to other companies when they’re not being paid. There’s no reason for a Tesla to need a CCS plug at a Super Charger.
Yeah,, that article is over a year old and addresses something very different. I think you may have misinterpreted something because I can’t find anything about Tesla Super Chargers having/allowing CCS charging. It just makes no sense.
Here’s a link interestingly from 2019....https://thedriven.io/2019/04/03/can-non-tesla-electric-cars-use-tesla-ev-chargers/

“Tesla are now fitting the CCS socket to the Model 3 in Europe (and will also do so in Australia when they arrive).
As a result, Tesla Superchargers here will soon start to sport CCS charging leads alongside the older Tesla DC charging lead”

Thus, Model 3’s sold in Europe or in Australia will have also have a CCS socket and thus Tesla Superchargers will soon sport CCS charging leads alongside the older Tesla DC charging lead...BUT NOT YET IN THE U.S.

IMHO, we need to the Federal government step in an mandate charging socket uniformity as the EEU did, this was increase charger availability for everyone and boost EV sales. Elon Musk’s opinions not withstanding.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
795 Posts
Correct, it is happening in Europe (because Tesla has to, otherwise they are out of business) but not in US. There are zero plans for retrofits in US. So ... I doubt it will ever happen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that if enough other EV owners complain. “Market forces” are not going to decide this issue. In the end, with the proliferation of EV manufacturers it will only make economic sense to do so. To flip the question, why shouldn’t there be reasonable compatible standards so that every EV owner can use very charger within the limits of their particular EV’s charging capability? Such standardization would facilitate EV travel and EV sales.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
795 Posts
Such standardization would facilitate EV travel and EV sales.
Yes, but would also remove uniqueness of the given brand. Looks what Lucid is trying to do - come with their own standard as well and lock their fleet to their own charging network. Personally, I think it is dumb. It is like coming up with a unique way to get gas into your car and make you stop only at specific gas stations. Yes, it can be done but it works so much better when you can stop at any of them.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
279 Posts
DCFC charge stations are extremely expensive, six figures plus per stall sometimes. Tesla builds that cost into their cars (which we here all love to make fun of), while charging a modest fee to recover their electricity expenses. These stations also require regular maintenance, which also caries high costs.

I would like other companies, especially those with vast resources like VW group, Toyota, GM, Ford, etc. start to building out charing infrastructure.

·
Registered
80 Posts

It looks like Rivian is taking the same position as Tesla, in that they are only going to allow Rivian owners the ability to charge on their infrastructure.

“These DC fast chargers will be for Rivian owners only, with details on pricing and associated programs coming soon.”

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yes, but would also remove uniqueness of the given brand. Looks what Lucid is trying to do - come with their own standard as well and lock their fleet to their own charging network. Personally, I think it is dumb. It is like coming up with a unique way to get gas into your car and make you stop only at specific gas stations. Yes, it can be done but it works so much better when you can stop at any of them.
Wow, is that true? I had originally put down a deposit for the base Lucid that was coming out in 2 years. That would be nuts if they do it and guaranteed to lose a bunch of customers. Do you have a link to that?

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
795 Posts
It was in some news a few weeks ago. I suspect they're just floating ideas. Maybe they decide to go the same path as Rivian

·
Registered
80 Posts
It looks like Lucid is choosing EA.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DCFC charge stations are extremely expensive, six figures plus per stall sometimes. Tesla builds that cost into their cars (which we here all love to make fun of), while charging a modest fee to recover their electricity expenses. These stations also require regular maintenance, which also caries high costs.

I would like other companies, especially those with vast resources like VW group, Toyota, GM, Ford, etc. start to building out charing infrastructure.
It looks like Lucid is choosing EA.

View attachment 1746

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It only makes sense that Lucid would choose an already established network and plug format. Car companies are in the business of selling car, not building ”electric gas stations” for “refills”. I can’t remember about Henry Ford ever building gas stations.

Creating one’s unique set of charging stations would be prohibitively expensive and short sighted for you’d have to build enough to make your unique EV practical for everyday use and long distance travel. Only a lot of arrogance would move a manufacturer to build proprietary charging stations.

BTW, the Electrify America charging stations were part of VW’s financial settlement resulting from their diesel fraud. That’s why new Audi’s EV’s and, I presume, new VW’s i4 ‘s get free hours of charging at EA rechargers.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
795 Posts
ID.4 gets 3 years of free charging on EA stations with no power limit. If you live nearby that's great. If not, it kind of does not matter unless you travel long distance a lot.

I prefer slower charge myself when and i can can to preserve battery state as much as possible.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts