Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even after a full night's charging I'm getting a range of approximately 100 miles (audi e tron 50) and when I swith on AC sometimes the range goes up not down. Is anybody having these issues as Audi are saying there is no faults!

·
Registered
Audi e-tron Sportback 55 Edition One
6 Posts
I've noticed that the range goes up once I take the charger out and the outside temperatures slowly increase/the car calibrates. Sometimes by 20-40 miles range (and accurate, it doesn't magically drop once I start driving either).

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019
48 Posts
It is winter. It is likely you are making short drives with lots of heat.

You are looking at the GOM aka Guess O Meter.

The GOM will use the recent driving to estimate range. If all of your drives are short with the heat blasting in winter, in ANY car the range will be much shorter than it would in summer on a long trip. That is what the GOM is telling you.

If your drives are 2km to takeout or grocery with the heat blasting, the km per kWh will be low. Or the kWh per 100 km will be high. If all your drives were like that, your real range would be low.

Reactions: Chrisechild

·
Registered
8 Posts
Even after a full night's charging I'm getting a range of approximately 100 miles (audi e tron 50) and when I swith on AC sometimes the range goes up not down. Is anybody having these issues as Audi are saying there is no faults!
Your experience is not unique - but do not be alarmed!

We have owned a 2019 Prestige and the range on the App and in the car has never exceed 170-miles when charged to 100%.

However, I am confident that if I had to drive 200-miles I would easily make the trip.

The onboard computer is calculating range using the most recent trip data, so unless you are frequently making longe trips of several hours, the computer will always show a lower number because these 'local' trips are less economical.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just purchased a 2020 sportback before the end of the year. Very disappointed in the range - with full charge 175mi is max that shows up. Actual miles is easily half of that. Never thought I would have to plug in every other night for a simple 30 mile total commute daily. They didn't even include a rack for the charge cable - it dangles on the freezer currently. Very disappointed and should have just listened to the masses and gone with Tesla

·
Registered
785 Posts
Tesla recommends plugging your car in every night, so switching won't make your life any easier!
When you say you take it to full charge, I'm assuming you have set the max charge limit in the car to 100%, and not have it at the default 80%. (Just asking, because 175 should be exactly what you would expect for an 80% charge.) Another consideration is where you are located. All EV batteries are very sensitive to ambient temps when it comes to both full charge capactiy and efficiency. I've had my 2019 55 SUV since Dec 2019. Here in the 40 to 50F weather of western OR, my 80% total charge shows and estimate on my GOM of about 163...exactly where it should be for my 2019 SUV 55, and the GOM nowadays is really pretty accurate in showing my miles remaining--which are affected by a number of factors. If your windows don't fog up, you might turn off the A/C button (in cold weather its sole purpose is to cool the air to dry it out, before the heat pump reheats it. Not necessary if the air is already dry.) Also, using a charging timer set up through the MyAudi app, and including preconditioning, to charge and precondition the car will leave your cabin warmed using current from the wall. (no loss in miles from just initially having to heat up your cabin after a cold start.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tesla recommends plugging your car in every night, so switching won't make your life any easier!
When you say you take it to full charge, I'm assuming you have set the max charge limit in the car to 100%, and not have it at the default 80%. (Just asking, because 175 should be exactly what you would expect for an 80% charge.) Another consideration is where you are located. All EV batteries are very sensitive to ambient temps when it comes to both full charge capactiy and efficiency. I've had my 2019 55 SUV since Dec 2019. Here in the 40 to 50F weather of western OR, my 80% total charge shows and estimate on my GOM of about 163...exactly where it should be for my 2019 SUV 55, and the GOM nowadays is really pretty accurate in showing my miles remaining--which are affected by a number of factors. If your windows don't fog up, you might turn off the A/C button (in cold weather its sole purpose is to cool the air to dry it out, before the heat pump reheats it. Not necessary if the air is already dry.) Also, using a charging timer set up through the MyAudi app, and including preconditioning, to charge and precondition the car will leave your cabin warmed using current from the wall. (no loss in miles from just initially having to heat up your cabin after a cold start.)
where do you adjust the charge limit? and any reason they have 80% as the default - does it prolong the battery life?

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019
48 Posts
where do you adjust the charge limit? and any reason they have 80% as the default - does it prolong the battery life?
The shallower the cycle, and the more centered around 50%, the longer the battery life. Plugging in every might would be better for the battery. 80% is a reasonable limit for many. Use 100% before a log trip, and perhaps less if your trips are short and predictable. I'm currently using 60%.

·
Registered
785 Posts
In the MMI it is under VEHICLE>Charging&Efficiency>Charging. I think the Timer screen appears. swipe that screen to the right which takes you to StateOfCharge screen. You can adjust the upper limit between 50 and 100%.

Audi limits you from accessing about the top 4% of the battery, so in the display 100% is actually a true 96%. Audi also prevents you from using up the lowest 8% of the charge, except for a couple of emergency spurts, so you can get to a safe spot. It starts to shut down extraneous electrical drains at about 20%.

In general, EV batteries hate fast HVDC charging. As others have said, Audi recommends charging to 80% routinely, going to 100% for long trips. I think Audi probably mainly has the HVDC charging in mind with the 80% number (it is also the point at which Audi's excellent HVDC charging rate starts to decrease). With Level 2 charging, it is probably a bit of overkill, but at least for me and my driving habits it is not an issue. Also, typically EV batteries prefer more frequent shallow charges, as opposed to infrequent deep charges. I generally keep my battery in the 45 to 80% (roughly the third quartile) SOC range. That always keeps about 100 mi in the tank in case of emergencies.

Also, always remember that E Trons are not just another version of Teslas. What is said for Tesla batteries sometimes does not hold for the E Tron. Specifically, you do NOT need to occasionally charge to 100%. You do NOT need to keep your car plugged in all the time....E Trons do not suffer from Phantom Battery drain, for example, nor does it lose power due to OTA updates, nor from the need to warm the cabin at very cold temperatures to keep the touch screen from breaking.

·
Registered
2019 Audi eTron Prestige, 2019 Audi eTron Premium Plus, 2019 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 87 Saleen Mustang
154 Posts
Just got my Feb Recurrent Battery report- I noticed that my eTron battery range has been declining. The report has been in the green range of the battery range spectrum, but at the very bottom of the range.

Even the LA area where it did dip into mid-upper 40s at night and 60s daytime, battery max couldn't seem to break 190 on my US eTron 55. (had seen 204-224 in the summer when it was new). Currently 1974 miles and will be asking Audi SA to look at it when it goes in for the loss of all steering wheel functions.

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019
48 Posts
Just got my Feb Recurrent Battery report- I noticed that my eTron battery range has been declining.
Due to increased use of power for heating, thicker air due to lower temperatures, water on road due to winter rainfall, energy use in winter is often higher per mile or km that it will be in summer. The Guess O Meter will use this past higher energy use and lower air temperature to predict a shorter range. Recurrent uses the GOM range, not a real battery health indication.

So a dip in winter is expected. Every EV sees this, if it has a Guess O Meter.

Watch next winter. Bet you see a bunch of postings just like yours.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I also just got my Feb 2021 report. I only have the Jan 2021 to compare with, but shows the max range about the same (193 Jan, 195 Feb). However, compared with similar vehicles, the battery range/age plot shows it has moved up from the bottom of the green band to about 20% above the bottom of the green band. I take that to mean the battery performance in my car has degraded less than those in comparable vehicles on average?

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019
48 Posts
A climate control trick for better range in cool weather, especially if sunny. Works best at 45F to 60F, a bit warmer with cloudy weather.

Turn the AC off.
Set all the temperatures to minimum.
Control the fan speed to keep the temperature and humidity in the car reasonable. Use heated seats for comfort.
Lower fan speed lets the sun warm the car more, but can let humidity build up. Too cold, and you will need to turn heat back on.
Higher fan speed cools the car more. Can turn off heated seats as well. Too warm or too much sun, and you will need to reset the temperature control and turn the AC on.

I take that to mean the battery performance in my car has degraded less than those in comparable vehicles on average?
Or the temperature in you area was slightly warmer. Or you drove longer trips, as short trips reduce GOM range, but do not degrade the battery. Or your climate settings were for less heat. Or a heated garage rather than driveway parking. Or a dozen other things.

Battery performance loss over time would be expected to be less than 0.4% a month, slowing as the car ages, and GOM variability month to month is easily ten times that.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Or the temperature in you area was slightly warmer. Or you drove longer trips, as short trips reduce GOM range, but do not degrade the battery. Or your climate settings were for less heat. Or a heated garage rather than driveway parking. Or a dozen other things.

Battery performance loss over time would be expected to be less than 0.4% a month, slowing as the car ages, and GOM variability month to month is easily ten times that.
Agreed, but Recurrent is not just relying on my GOM. They also collect my odometer, battery level and charging status, and supposedly are developing their own algorithms. Over time and with more and more cars in the data base, hopefully the aggregate of the data will show the cars' fundamental battery longevities. Will all this thermal management, etc, developed by Audi make a difference?

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019
48 Posts
This is the part of the Recurrent report that matters. The rest is marked Beta, and isn't very useful at present.
1614694084708.png

·
Registered
2 Posts
My e-Tron Sportback has been in the shop for about 3 weeks now while they wait to get the parts and service materials they need to "re-balance" my batteries. Basically, I had a bad cell. When I took delivery a 100% charge had 220 miles of range and 80% had about 185 miles. It drained down to 100 / 80 miles over a few month period and it made the car almost useless. Take it in and let them fix but don't leave the dealer without a loaner....it could be awhile before you get your car back.

·
Registered
785 Posts
My April 2021 Recurrent report regarding sensitivity of the battery to ambient temperature. The reports have changed the temp range, so it is difficult to compare.

April 2021

RecurrentApril2021 2.jpg
RecurrentApril2021 2.jpg

March 2021

Mar21Audi2019Etron.png

·
Registered
2 Posts
As an update to my situation, a bad cell was depleting the adjacent cells. After replacing the bad cell all the cells had to be rebalanced. Since I got the car back, it’s range has been excellent. Better than new, I think. It took 6 weeks for the repair, moat of which was due to parts being available. Audi probably getting a good idea now of what it means to be in the e-car business.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts