Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have had the e-tron for 3 months.
I have been very disappointed with the range I am getting.
I thought the realistic range was around170 miles.
It currently barely gives 130 miles to a full charge.
It also charges at max to the 130 range.
It is a very poor range for a big car and for Audi, and is no where close to the projected range.
Am I doing something wrong.
It would really be tricky to take it on a long distance journey.

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55 2020. Jaguar iPace HSE 2019.
182 Posts
Hi there, welcome along. No EV gets anywhere near the WLTP range excpet perhap on a hot sunny summers day when you're in no hurry. Usually about 20-30% less. Winter range is MUCH less. So what you're seeing is completely normal (if undesirable). The eTron 50 was produced with a smaller battery to hit a lower price point; combined with very poor efficiency generally, it's a car with very limited range.

We've got an eTron 55 and a Jag iPace. The iPace thrashes the eTron for efficiency. Our 55 is currently showing 145 miles fully charged (so you might think you're doing quite well!) ... Summer range was about 190.

Jag is now 227, summer 260.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree.I thought I needed Audi to be aware,that this is an overpriced car for what it offers.
There are cheaper EV that offer better efficiency.

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55 2020. Jaguar iPace HSE 2019.
182 Posts
Posting it here won't tell Audi anything.

It's an expensive car. You could buy two Konas or Niros for the same money and get 2x more range out of each, but they're cheap for a reason. That Audi quality, and brand, costs.

Long distance journeys in any EV need planning, charge strategy is important. The eTron 50 more than most.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
260 Posts
Hello,
I have had the e-tron for 3 months.
I have been very disappointed with the range I am getting.
I thought the realistic range was around170 miles.
It also charges at max to the 130 range.
It is a very poor range for a big car and for Audi, and is no where close to the projected range.
Am I doing something wrong.
My e-tron 50 is the same at the minute - 120 - 130 mile range at 100%. In fact, we're doing a lot of pre-heating (to melt the ice and snow) which is sucking ~5% (somtimes more, 8% sometimes less 3%) every time, before the car moves an inch. Combined with the short journeys, due to lockdown, the efficiency is shocking at the moment.

Its like having a motorcycle's range in a behemoth of a vehicle. Very weird, but somewhat negated by overnight charging. Long distance journeys aren't an issue if there are 100+kW chargers on the route.

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019
61 Posts

The GOM range is based on the kind of driving you are doing.

Short trips, lots of heat to warm the cabin, etc.

A long distance journey will likely get more range than the GOM predicts.

Reactions: Joe

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The best monitor I have found is the State of Charge (SOC). In regular usage the Audi GOM does not take into account elevation or weather. It just estimates how many miles you have gone historically and modifies that for changes in cabin settings, etc. The Elevation comes into play when you use the NAV to plan a trip. I'm not sure if Audi ever accounts for weather: I think the GOM folds that into the calculation only because of the fact that max SOC and max efficiency drop as you drive more often in cold weather.

In cold weather note this: Try turning off your A/C button. In the Audi temp control, turning the system ON turns on the heating system (heat pump and, if needed, resistive heaters). When the A/C is also turned on the FIRST thing the Audi does is cool down the ambient air to dehumidify it. THEN, the heaters heat it up to the desired temp. If the weather is cold, try turning off the A/C to skip that first (energy wasting) step. If your ambient air is dry enough, you won't notice a difference. This will save you some energy by eliminating the uncessary dehumidification step. If your windows fog up, then, unfortunately, you will need to try the A/C Eco or full A/C to get some dehumidification. Otherwise, you only need to turn on the A/C if the ambient temp is higher than your desired cabin temp.

Finally, for my E Tron 55, I find my mileage is quite consistent with the USA EPA estimate, while the EU number is MUCH too optimistic. I looking at EV's, ignore the EU numbers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I think this depends on a number of factors, the etron performs predictive range based on your previous driving habits and weather conditions. If you accelerate hard all the time your range will go less. Having said that, my experience is a little different from you. I have an etron 50 and i am getting a range of 150 miles at 80% range setting and 185 miles at 100% setting. One way you can improve your driving range is to coast on the highway during high speed drive, etron can drive for up to 1km without you touching your accelerator pedal (the car will just roll, which is one of the reasons Audi didn't implement one pedal driving automatically). When approaching junctions and roundabout you can coast also (etron will indicate this on the headup display if you have one. Hope these helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts