Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Audi e-tron SUV Prestige
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will start with this: I know they are not legal yet in the USA. I am also aware that there have been many problems with these. That said, I am quite a gadget nerd and would love to purchase the parts and install them myself. My questions are: Would they just work if I removed the existing mirrors and door panel, then installed the parts? If not, could the option be turned on using an OBD program such as OBDeleven.com?
So far, I have determined the part numbers for:
1. Exterior mirror, black high gloss PN: 4KE857409C T94 & PN:4KE857410C T9C (or.. 4KE857109A or B)
2. Control mirror, PN 4KE907181A (left), PN 4KE907182A (right)

I am assuming the connectors would be there since it would probably cost more to delete the connections. Any help or inside knowledge (preferably an Audi Tech from a country where these are legally sold) would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
279 Posts
These review terribly, and it seems that much of it is due to the display location. Too low, and susceptible to glare (e.g. like using a laptop outside on a sunny day). The Honda-E system reviews better. But you knew that anyway.

There is an OBDEleven code to reprogram the parking camera system so it stays on regardless of speed. That in conjunction with physical mirrors might be more useful?

I wonder if you could program them to react to turn signals. Turn on the left signal, display the left camera.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@polyphonic; I know they review terribly. I still want to try them out on my car. I doubt anyone would ever pull me over for having the virtual mirrors as they would think they were just not told about them being allowed or not. I just think they are very cool and I would be the only one in the USA to have them(not that I am competing, lol). I am still learning the OBDeleven app and how to use it. I purchased the Starter pack and am looking to see what else can be changed using OBDeleven. I read somewhere that I could make some additional gages show up on the MMI. I just like to tinker and play around on things with my vehicle. I also just added the Lowering module that I purchased from Suspension It took me a good part of a day in my driveway by myself to install it. The main reason was because it is most helpful to have a lift. I only had the ramps. Once I got it working properly, it works like a charm.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My first concern would be whether installing unapproved mirrors would negate your car insurance in the US.
They would have to actually be told. Since they never actually see the vehicle, my insurance would never know.

·
Registered
55 Posts
They would have to actually be told. Since they never actually see the vehicle, my insurance would never know.
Until you need your car insurance - in case of an accident both your insurance company and the other guy's insurance company will be looking for anything that may reject the claim.

·
Registered
2019 Audi eTron Prestige, 2019 Audi eTron Premium Plus, 2019 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 87 Saleen Mustang
206 Posts
@polyphonic; I know they review terribly. I still want to try them out on my car. I doubt anyone would ever pull me over for having the virtual mirrors as they would think they were just not told about them being allowed or not. I just think they are very cool and I would be the only one in the USA to have them(not that I am competing, lol). I am still learning the OBDeleven app and how to use it. I purchased the Starter pack and am looking to see what else can be changed using OBDeleven. I read somewhere that I could make some additional gages show up on the MMI. I just like to tinker and play around on things with my vehicle. I also just added the Lowering module that I purchased from Suspension It took me a good part of a day in my driveway by myself to install it. The main reason was because it is most helpful to have a lift. I only had the ramps. Once I got it working properly, it works like a charm.
Did you get the OBD Eleven Pro? If not, it's not going to super useful for the types of things you're looking to do.

Second, the Virtual Mirrors and control module(s) aren't going to be cheap.

Reactions: Chriswarreninc

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you get the OBD Eleven Pro? If not, it's not going to super useful for the types of things you're looking to do.

Second, the Virtual Mirrors and control module(s) aren't going to be cheap.
I did purchase the OBD Eleven but not the PRO account. So I am hearing that there would be not only the mirror screens inside the vehicle and the cameras on the exterior, there would also be a "Controller"? I hadn't thought of that one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Chasing Cars; I have tried searching for a parts list for this but have not had any luck. The next time you are at the dealership getting the error codes cleared again (since there are always error codes) would you ask their parts guy to email the schematic of parts that make up this feature? I know its a long shot but it is just interesting to me to be able to do these types of things.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
279 Posts
You might need new doors too? Agree with the others on insurance - someone will find out and they will gleefully deny coverage.
How does OBD Eleven work from a coding perspective? Is it just a value-swap affair, or can you add new lines?

·
Registered
2019 Audi eTron Prestige, 2019 Audi eTron Premium Plus, 2019 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 87 Saleen Mustang
206 Posts
@Chasing Cars; I have tried searching for a parts list for this but have not had any luck. The next time you are at the dealership getting the error codes cleared again (since there are always error codes) would you ask their parts guy to email the schematic of parts that make up this feature? I know its a long shot but it is just interesting to me to be able to do these types of things.
There are online ETKA databases where you can select EUR for the market and see all the part numbers. Definitely doesn't look like a small undertaking- will also need new door panels for the mirror LED screens.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are online ETKA databases where you can select EUR for the market and see all the part numbers. Definitely doesn't look like a small undertaking- will also need new door panels for the mirror LED screens.
Thanks for the info. I did not know the correct term to search then. "ETKA database" Something to keep me busy during the holidays since we can't go anywhere. ;-)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You might need new doors too? Agree with the others on insurance - someone will find out and they will gleefully deny coverage.
How does OBD Eleven work from a coding perspective? Is it just a value-swap affair, or can you add new lines?
I have not quite figured out how do make any changes to my MMI or vehicle options yet. I have a Prestige model so the options I have seen so far that could be turned on area already on. I think for those who have a lower model, it would be more beneficial. For me, though, I haven't been able to do anything except clear the faults that keep happening. Hopefully, I can figure out the Matrix Headlight option to enable it. and I read that there is a G force gage that can be turned on but I haven't figured that out yet. Just trying to dive in to the whole "Long Coding" and be more familiar with the app before I start asking them questions. I understand that one can pay them to do some long coding for you too if you can't figure it out. I did add the lowering module separate from OBDeleven and I love it.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I have not quite figured out how do make any changes to my MMI or vehicle options yet. I have a Prestige model so the options I have seen so far that could be turned on area already on. I think for those who have a lower model, it would be more beneficial. For me, though, I haven't been able to do anything except clear the faults that keep happening. Hopefully, I can figure out the Matrix Headlight option to enable it. and I read that there is a G force gage that can be turned on but I haven't figured that out yet. Just trying to dive in to the whole "Long Coding" and be more familiar with the app before I start asking them questions. I understand that one can pay them to do some long coding for you too if you can't figure it out. I did add the lowering module separate from OBDeleven and I love it.
Wow. It my be cheaper and simpler for you to just move to Europe!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts