Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends,
Last week I have retuned back from an international travel and during my home quarantine period I have got the delivery of my Etron Sportsback Sp Ed. Since I haven't yet driven the car so a lot of questions are popping up :) .... Could you please share your experience of the virtual mirrors? what value does it bring as compare to traditional standard mirrors?

Thanks
Raamiz

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
308 Posts
Apart from a short test drive in Europe little to share but i prefer personally physical mirrors. The depth perception seems to be gone when you see things on the screen. Not a fan personally

·
Registered
91 Posts
Raamiz, we had a car for half a day for a test drive before we purchased and that had virtual mirrors. I rather fancied the idea of them and knew that they would take a bit of getting used to but in reality I really did not like them.

It is not the 'virtual' part of them that is the problem, it is the fact that the one on the driver's door is at such a strange angle, almost side-on to the driver. I think that eventually I could get used to them but ultimately not sure it would be worth the effort.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Raamiz, we had a car for half a day for a test drive before we purchased and that had virtual mirrors. I rather fancied the idea of them and knew that they would take a bit of getting used to but in reality I really did not like them.

It is not the 'virtual' part of them that is the problem, it is the fact that the one on the driver's door is at such a strange angle, almost side-on to the driver. I think that eventually I could get used to them but ultimately not sure it would be worth the effort.
Thanks for your feedback Chasing Cars! .....actually I wasn't even fully convinced with the idea of having virtual mirrors. Unfortunately when we did test drive Audi couldn't manage to arrange the test car with virtual mirrors so we just had seen the fancy high-tech mirrors on one of the parked cars inside the showroom, that impressed us and looked dashing too! But the only problem that I foresee now is the situation when you do reverse parking between two objects (cars, wall pillars) and you have to keep switching your eyes inside and outside....Inside - to view the rare side of the car and outside - to safe the edges of the mirrors itself. Do you agree? have you experienced such thing?

·
Registered
91 Posts
We only had the car for half a day so probably didn’t get into that level of detail but what you say certainly makes sense and I can imagine that being the case.

Some folks may love them but they didn’t really do it for me. Add in the fact that they were about £1,300 and the decision was easy.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Thanks for your feedback Chasing Cars! .....actually I wasn't even fully convinced with the idea of having virtual mirrors. Unfortunately when we did test drive Audi couldn't manage to arrange the test car with virtual mirrors so we just had seen the fancy high-tech mirrors on one of the parked cars inside the showroom, that impressed us and looked dashing too! But the only problem that I foresee now is the situation when you do reverse parking between two objects (cars, wall pillars) and you have to keep switching your eyes inside and outside....Inside - to view the rare side of the car and outside - to safe the edges of the mirrors itself. Do you agree? have you experienced such thing?
Most likely for the reverse parking situation you describe, you will find you will not be using the side mirrors, but rather the Views provided by the Driver Assist camera system that displays on the upper console screen (I'm in the US with a 2019 Prestige, so I'm not sure what features you are getting with your car). That said, virtual mirrors have not been approved for use in the USA, so I have no direct experience. I did do a lot of online research on them, and have yet to find a serious reviewer who recommends them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most likely for the reverse parking situation you describe, you will find you will not be using the side mirrors, but rather the Views provided by the Driver Assist camera system that displays on the upper console screen (I'm in the US with a 2019 Prestige, so I'm not sure what features you are getting with your car). That said, virtual mirrors have not been approved for use in the USA, so I have no direct experience. I did do a lot of online research on them, and have yet to find a serious reviewer who recommends them.
You may be right is the said situation the Driver assist camera would help to park.....on your last note I havent yet even find anyone recommending virtual mirrors :)

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
308 Posts
anyone recommending virtual mirrors
I like the idea, but I do not think these are super handy, honestly. The positioning of the screens and loss of depth perception make them at least less safe than standard mirrors. Wide angle cameras along the body of the car and some image processing magic would work much better IMO and reduce the drag more effectively. These virtual mirrors seem like a marketing stunt, similar to the whole matrix lights.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello friends,
Last week I have retuned back from an international travel and during my home quarantine period I have got the delivery of my Etron Sportsback Sp Ed. Since I haven't yet driven the car so a lot of questions are popping up :) .... Could you please share your experience of the virtual mirrors? what value does it bring as compare to traditional standard mirrors?

Thanks
Raamiz
Hi, ive done 5k miles in my e-tron since January and it has the virtual mirrors fitted. Personally i find them good fun and am now used to them so they feel natural. I can also reverse park with them now too! Whether they are worth the money is a different question, but they draw lots of interest and i find them far more useful and engaging than things like the matrix LED lights etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello friends,

Thanks
Raamiz
I have had my E-tron (launch edition) now for 12 months and done over 18k miles. Initially they took some getting use to i will admit, especially when on round abouts and needed to take quick action, your muscle memory takes your eyes to the outside of the car.

I have since become use to them and do actually prefer them. I do a lot of motorway miles (110 mile commute in total each day).The virtual mirrors come into their own when its a rainy day, visibility is poor. When i look through my rear view mirror i can hardly see anything but through the virtual mirrors it is really clear. Partly because the image processer is clearing up the image and making it brighter, but also because i am not having to view through another dirty \ raining window.

There have been a lot of problems with them though, particularly misting up issues. My car had the same issue and had a curtesy car while they resolved the issue, it was during this time i realised how much more i prefer the virtual mirrors to traditional ones.

I suspect though we wont see many more cars from Audi with virtual mirrors, not until they fully resolve all the issues at least, i have noticed the GT does not have the option. Which is a shame because as i said i am fan of them and would \ will 100% make sure my next car has them too.

Stick with it is my advise, once it "clicks" with you there is no going back.

·
Registered
30 Posts
To add my tuppence worth...
I test drove an e-Tron with standard mirrors for a long weekend, it was enough to convince me to go for the e-Tron over the I-Pace. I decided to go for the Vorsprung trim to get the HUD. I initially ordered the vehicle without the virtual mirrors (which come as standard), before test driving an e-Tron with the virtual mirrors. I got the test vehicle for a week, and I drove it each day. This week was enough to change my mind from the standard mirror and add the virtual mirror back on. As people have said above, the image is so clear meaning that when driving in the rain, the view is uninhibited.

I've seen a few issues on this forum with the cameras misting up, which doesn't look too great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts