Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 e-tron Sportback. Canadian model. Due this month, no date yet. First EV, follows a long line of Audis here (replacing an A7).

Will tell you next winter how it handles -30C and snow... but for now it will be in summer tires.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
795 Posts
Mine handled Colorado weather pretty well. Keep it in a garage, it will not feel temperature drops that much. I had 10-15 miles of range hit, even with temperatures around -20C. Driving in the snow is super fun and it beats every ICE I owned before.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keep it in a garage, it will not feel temperature drops that much.
That’s not the plan - it will have to live outside. But it should be fine. My range needs are not very demanding, and using per-heating shifts some of the power needs to the charger rather than the battery. Electrical power is really cheap here as well.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
That’s not the plan - it will have to live outside. But it should be fine. My range needs are not very demanding, and using per-heating shifts some of the power needs to the charger rather than the battery. Electrical power is really cheap here as well.
Set a charging timer using the MyAudi app and include "cabin preconditioning". The timer is set according to your "Departure" time. So, knowing when you will head out in the morning, the car will start to charge so that the charging is completed about an hour before your Departure time. Then, with "preconditioning" activated, about 20 minute before your departure time, the car will start to heat the cabin; however, it does this while "sipping" current from the wall, so that it periodically replenishes the battery. That way you leave with a warm cabin and a battery that is pretty much at the maximum state of charge you have set. Side benefit is that the battery's charging warms the battery a little also and that helps with your mileage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apparently the car is on a boat that left Europe yesterday. I assume 10 days to Halifax, then a couple of weeks to unload, prep and ship. Early June maybe.

·
Registered
2021 Sportback Siam Beige
23 Posts
Electrical power is really cheap here as well.
You must live in Quebec. Nearly free Hydro ;) ....certainly compared to Ontario.
I'm also waiting, My e-tron Sportback was just made - ETA June 10....but who knows with the Port of Montreal strike....could be July.

RE cold temperatures: I drove a Tesla Model S85D for 10 years. It was left in an unheated garage. Winter range is an issue with all electric cars, and the best way to mitigate it is preconditioning the cab and battery, while on shore power (see above post from @JNealCox ) . Colder air is denser (harder to drive through), snow/rain traction uses power, and the car will consume more power heating the cab and battery (for the first 20-45 minutes).
On the Tesla forums, some claimed a 50% reduction in range....I think that is based on shorter trips. We rarely see -30C temperatures in Southern Ontario - last year we didn't see -20, but it didn't get above freezing for nearly 6 weeks in January-February in 2021. My 6 winter history showed about 20-25% loss of range in late December to early March. While battery management is different between the 2 manufacturers, I would suspect range loss is similar.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You must live in Quebec. Nearly free Hydro ;) ....certainly compared to Ontario.
I'm also waiting, My e-tron Sportback was just made - ETA June 10....but who knows with the Port of Montreal strike....could be July.
Apparently they all get unloaded in Halifax, so Montreal won’t be an issue.

·
Registered
2021 Sportback Siam Beige
23 Posts
Apparently they all get unloaded in Halifax, so Montreal won’t be an issue.
My understanding is that Halifax is getting backed up due to the Montreal strike.....but who knows.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts