Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apologies if this has been discussed. Just picked up an e-tron today ( awesome car), but made the mistake of assuming the 4 prong dryer outlet in my garage was the same as the e-tron ( dryer outlet has sideways T on bottom prong)

Wondering what my options are. Does audi sell other 4 prong adapters? Should I get an electrician involved? Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Congratulation on you new E Tron. Is this your first EV? If so, as was mine, now the adventure begins!

Regarding dryer outlets, search other threads on here...they cover the issue of using a dryer outlet. Typically, you can buy an adapter plug that will convert the NEMA 14-50 plug that comes with the charger to fit the dryer outlet if it is rated for a high voltage. HOWEVER, dryers generally operate up to 30A 220V, lower than the 40A 240V that the etron can draw from the charger box when it is set at 100%. All is not lost, the charger box can be set to operate at 100% or at 50% (with the box that came with my 2019, the Power button is a two-function button--1) ON/OFF, a quick press; 2) 50%/100%, a long press). If you set the box to 50%, you should be safe from blowing your circuit breaker. That said, at 50% you charging rate will be significantly slower. Bottom line, it might be time to upgrade that dryer circuit!

Also, in the meantime, if you are trying to use the 120V outlet, be sure the box is switched to 100%. At 50%, the presented voltage is often too low to be accepted by the car.

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019
60 Posts
Also, in the meantime, if you are trying to use the 120V outlet, be sure the box is switched to 100%. At 50%, the presented voltage current is often too low to be accepted by the car.
FTFY.
!20V 50% is 6 Amps, the exact bottom of the J1772 charging spec.. As the signaling is analog, the car might not see "OK to charge", but "wait for timer".

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
FTFY.
!20V 50% is 6 Amps, the exact bottom of the J1772 charging spec.. As the signaling is analog, the car might not see "OK to charge", but "wait for timer".
LOL, Yes, and "wait for a timer" was exactly what I was seeing before I figured this out.

·
Registered
2019 Audi eTron Prestige, 2019 Audi eTron Premium Plus, 2019 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 87 Saleen Mustang
206 Posts
Reactions: polyphonic

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! Called electrician and he was able to convert the current dryer outlet to the one needed.

Much appreciated 🙌

1 - 7 of 7 Posts