Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you dislike, and/or hate about the e-tron?
I know how EV range works, so not interested in that, or discussion about the CCS charge networks.

What would you consider to be flaws or disappointments?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wish it had a little bit more range during the cold winter months here in Wisconsin (seems to be getting better as my garage (charging) and the weather gets warmer). My only true disappointment is the lack of a heated steering wheel. It's nice to get into a warm car, but the steering wheel is still cold. My solution - leaving a thin pair of gloves in the console.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, since range is a premium to begin with, efficiency loss in cold weather is very noticeable in EVs. I'm in a sun state, so it's not really a concern.
Do you have the cold-weather package? Have you tried preconditioning (via the app if that's possible?), or setting the car to charge prior to leaving?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah, since range is a premium to begin with, efficiency loss in cold weather is very noticeable in EVs. I'm in a sun state, so it's not really a concern.
Do you have the cold-weather package? Have you tried preconditioning (via the app if that's possible?), or setting the car to charge prior to leaving?
I have the cold-weather package and I pre-condition most of the time. Back in December and January I made a lot of trips from Madison to the Milwaukee area (about 160-170 mi RT trips) and just wish I could make it without adding some juice to it. I was lucky to find an unground garage with level 2 chargers that had a few food options and stores to hang out for around an hour or so to get 20 more miles of range into it. On one trip back home going into a head wind and temps at 30F I was down to 16 miles of range with 20 miles to go - lucky I was close to and made my first stop at a Electrify America charging station with 13 miles to go. Last week I made the round-trip in 60F weather and didn't have to charge until I got home (with plenty of range left).

·
Registered
11 Posts
What do you dislike, and/or hate about the e-tron?
I know how EV range works, so not interested in that, or discussion about the CCS charge networks.

What would you consider to be flaws or disappointments?
2 things I do not like on my 4 month old E-Tron: (despite your admonition) #1) the range, obviously. It started the first month at 203-210. Now it’s 179-187 2) every time you open the driver’s door with the engine running, if it’s more than 15 seconds, the car turns off. Getting mail, carrying something from car , etc. Yesterday for work, I had to take quick roadside pictures for the city I must have restarted the car 40 times! Not sure if that wear and tear on the starter is a good thing.

Anyhow, love the car, so willing to tolerate that which I cannot change

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1) Interesting -- has the BMS been calibrated recently? (charged to near 100%), and does the range show lower in colder months? (if so, this is normal)
2) that's just plain annoying. I would hope they release a software update for that in the future. Hard to believe it amounts to much wear and tear though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I love how everyone complains about the range, even though the original poster asked us not to. So I'm not going to do that. What else do I dislike about my e-tron? Well, first and foremost, the fact that it's been in the shop for 5.5 out of the 11 months I've owned it. Second, the fact that the customer support provided by Audi of America is a joke. I asked them two questions. It took them four months to give me three ridiculous answers to each question. Eventually, my dealer answered both questions with Audi documents provided by Audi of America. The fact that their customer support people didn't have those documents (or, more likely, were too lazy to look for them) is unacceptable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ha, well that just tells me things are generally good. I live in a warm climate, so I'm confident I'll exceed the range, like in my other EV.
Sounds like you have a serious lemon. Why not push for a lemon law buyback?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I get irked when my dashboard settings change on their own. My shortcuts on the left column of the upper display go back to factory defaults at least once a week. The same is true for the Virtual Cockpit settings. I use the e-Tron setting but it goes back to the default 2 dial version at least weekly as well.

Also, it took a bit of work to get charging schedule to work reliably. At this point I am at about 90% success with the Charging Timer. The secret seemed to be to use advanced settings to program a time window for charging. After I did that the Charging Timer success rate went from 1 in 10 to 9 out of 10. Still, not reliable enough if I have a long trip coming up where it is important to make sure I have charged up. On those occasions I wait til the electric rate goes down at 900PM and then plug to charge immediately. My daily commute uses less than 30 miles round trip so range is not an issue unless I have special travel plans.

The door locks are very touchy too. Easy to lock the door when brushing against the handle. And sometimes the passenger door will not open from the inside.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I get irked when my dashboard settings change on their own. My shortcuts on the left column of the upper display go back to factory defaults at least once a week. The same is true for the Virtual Cockpit settings. I use the e-Tron setting but it goes back to the default 2 dial version at least weekly.
WOW, up to here you just described my experience in a handful of situations in last 3 months, so I reckon [after I already spoke with my service advisor before seeing your post] a SW update is the solution since is across more than one unit...

My only other gripe is with UBER sensitive tailgate sensor that allows you to open/close it by foot, especially when the gate is already open and you are coming to get more bags/luggage deep in the trunk by the back of the seats and the gate is commandeered to close, with beeping in tow, right after both your hands are full and you are just straightening up on clear trajectory to intersect it with your head - you get the picture. Oh, this is also annoying on the Stuttgart manufacturer and I still don't know how to avoid or solve it 😇

Otherwise the car is built like a TigerII tank, coach is quiet like a dream [with 16xBO 3D accents 😉] and drives/handles better than an S Class!!!🤘

Oh, and I L O V E the parking lot [under 15 mph] Falcon/StarWars sound it creates 🤩

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the same issues with the display reverting back to the default mode on its own. It also logs me out of Audi Connect randomly, so when I think I've sent a destination to navigation from the app, I find out I need to log in. Kind of hard to do while driving.....

I hate that when it's raining, the rear camera is useless - they mounted it too close to the lip of the hatch so water just pours over it, obscuring the view. In the dark, the light sensitivity is too low, so I can't see anything unless I use the brakes to light up the rear tail lights.

I have had a horrible time getting the car to charge at public charging stations. My last attempt: 8 chargers at the station, 2 were out of service. Tried charging at each of the operational 6 units - zero success. Took car to service, but they said it was a charger issue, not a car issue. I don't think that's true - I typically have to try 4 or 8 times to get the darned thing to charge. I would NEVER take this car on a trip where I had to rely on public charging to get home.

Overall I am very lukewarm on this car. It is clearly a beta version of an EV - substandard range, electronic glitches, poor remote/app performance, 6,000 pound curb weight, too-high load height for rear hatch, wasted storage space all around. Completely impractical for anything other than around-town driving that I could have gotten with a Hyundai Kona for half the price. Mostly regret the choice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Definitely my biggest complaint
I hate that when it's raining, the rear camera is useless - they mounted it too close to the lip of the hatch so water just pours over it, obscuring the view. In the dark, the light sensitivity is too low, so I can't see anything unless I use the brakes to light up the rear tail lights.
That and the tailgate closing on my head when arms are full accessing the trunk.
Then there is the Audi Connect which is a total waste of money for service that should be offered free or with minimal charge.
Wish my cell phone navigation could be used on the display.
Why even make 110v charging an option unless you have a few days to charge the car. I guess in an emergency...
Does anyone really use the custom interior colors for different driving modes?
Wish I could see percentage of battery charge remaining, in addition to estimated miles.
The door latch jamming if you open the door too fast.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We investigated all EV cars in 2019, Audi easily won due to luxury and all its cool appointments. However we were not given all the information to make the correct decision. I know now the correct decision might have been a Tesla as they already worked out the range issue and battery charging. We have now had the etron for enough time and realized that Audi has a serious issue on hand, they don’t know why the battery will not give a full charge to 212 and why the battery charge drops by 5% to 10% driving your first mile coming off a charger. Audi engineering has rendered the etron useless in planning a trip then couple this with few high power fast chargers in the Midwest. Audi customer service and dealer services has stopped responding to this one question: How can I tell the etron that I need to drive the car 190 miles and that it needs to charge to give me enough power to make my trip?

·
Registered
88 Posts
they don’t know why the battery will not give a full charge to 212 and why the battery charge drops by 5% to 10% driving your first mile coming off a charger.
Umm.. I haven't experienced any of the issues you have. After 6 months, 6k miles - very happy with the car and the range has been as advertised. I had one instance of the car all of a sudden showing 10 miles of range when it was actually at about 60% SOC, but that cleared after a few minutes as I figured it would.
To say that "Audi has a serious issue on hand" is... more than a little dramatic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Umm.. I haven't experienced any of the issues you have. After 6 months, 6k miles - very happy with the car and the range has been as advertised. I had one instance of the car all of a sudden showing 10 miles of range when it was actually at about 60% SOC, but that cleared after a few minutes as I figured it would.
To say that "Audi has a serious issue on hand" is... more than a little dramatic.
I’m super happy for you and your experience, however if you do a little research I’m only one of the same experience with the same issues from the 2019 e-Troy’s. Audi has confirmed everything I have posted, except they won’t discuss Tesl.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't really have a right to have a strong opinion, as I have been an E-tron owner for only two weeks. However, in reading over the criticism, and this being my fourth electric vehicle since 2012, I think the issues with range are mostly because folks are just unaccustomed to EVs. I suspected this is most folk's first EV, and coming from three cars previously that had far less range, this car is far far better. Tesla is nice that is makes the EV experience fairly dummy proof in that the excess range that you are lugging around every day makes you feel better. But if you routinely need to exercise 150+ miles between charging, I agree this is not the car for you. With that said, it is far better than a Kona or Kia (which is just an uninformed comparison if you took time to examine those cars).

To contribute to the conversation, I don't like the settings get lost between some sessions. I don't like the flakiness of ApplePlay. Although I hope the update I am getting on Monday will make that better. I also would prefer the standard Homelink garage opener on the rear view mirror. I also don't like how long it takes MMI to load at startup.

But everything else has been great so far on a limited run. My wife who said she would never own an EV is now considering one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't really have a right to have a strong opinion, as I have been an E-tron owner for only two weeks. However, in reading over the criticism, and this being my fourth electric vehicle since 2012, I think the issues with range are mostly because folks are just unaccustomed to EVs. I suspected this is most folk's first EV, and coming from three cars previously that had far less range, this car is far far better. Tesla is nice that is makes the EV experience fairly dummy proof in that the excess range that you are lugging around every day makes you feel better. But if you routinely need to exercise 150+ miles between charging, I agree this is not the car for you. With that said, it is far better than a Kona or Kia (which is just an uninformed comparison if you took time to examine those cars).

To contribute to the conversation, I don't like the settings get lost between some sessions. I don't like the flakiness of ApplePlay. Although I hope the update I am getting on Monday will make that better. I also would prefer the standard Homelink garage opener on the rear view mirror. I also don't like how long it takes MMI to load at startup.

But everything else has been great so far on a limited run. My wife who said she would never own an EV is now considering one.
BTW.... I averaged 18,000 miles a year. Since 2015, I had an i3 with an effective range of about 130 miles. Prior I had a Chevy Volt which had an effective range of 42 miles on a charge, yet I managed to drive 95% electric in the 76,000 miles I put on it.

You same folks that are talking about Tesla also need to know that their range goes down every year after use (like every electric car). Audi has engineered it so you should not see any range degradation for years. This will make some people happy, but others would rather have the extra 25 miles of range and take their chances.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Personally I find the charge/route planner to be fairly useless. I tend to use ZapMap on my iPhone which does a good job of allowing filtering of charge stations to whatever networks you’re subscribed to. But the majority of charging points that the Audi map shows are 7kw ones or those in their own Charging Service scheme which is pricey. I think that the latest software update may improve things (applied yesterday) but I haven’t explored it properly yet. I don’t regret buying the e-Tron over the Tesla Model X. I don’t need the range but I deserve the luxury 🤣

1 - 20 of 22 Posts