Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our e-tron has been ours for about one week, so the paperwork is fresh, but my knowledge is weak. We have some sort of letter/certificate advising us to contact AT&T or T-Mobile to register and obtain permission to use the "signal booster" in our "phone box equipped" vehicle. We must also use "approved antennas and cables".
What is this? Is it the nice little wireless charger? Is there a SIM card inside somewhere? Is it necessary or an extra?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don't recall any paperwork like that. In the US the 2019 etron 55's use ATT for any wireless connection. You have no Provider options. When I leased my car, it came with 6 mo free access to the car's wifi DATA capability. This link gives you some idea of the features you get via ATT wireless DATA service: Audi connect® | Audi USA

Overall the ATT wireless provides 3 tiers of DATA service. The basic is free and includes stuff like SOS calling; the Prime connect offers the Audi Navigation and stuff like traffic light countdowns; the Prime Connect Plus turns your car into a wifi hotspot.

After 6 mo, I had to pay for the different tiers of service provided by ATT.

The etron does have the option to have a car phone installed. I think that might be a separate issue. If you get one installed and get PHONE service, you'll need to get the service through ATT, but who does that anymore? Time to call your dealer!

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Ahh, yeah, I do recall seeing that ominous notice mixed in with the other Audi manuals and guide. I tossed it.

The "Audi Phone Box" is basically that phone wireless charging cradle in your center console. It doubles as a cell phone signal amplifier. Just put your phone in said cradle it will automatically amplify your cell signal via the vehicle's external antenna. No need to do anything special, it just works. Wireless charge and signal boost. I like it.

Check out Page 171 and 172 in the Owner's Manual for more info. ;)

·
Registered
176 Posts
I guess what puzzles me is why they tell you to contact ATT or TMobile in order to use signal booster. My phone is on Verizon. Right now I am paying to have the Audi wifi hot spot (which is ONLY ATT for 2019 cars), so when I am in the car, I switch to the ATT Audi hotspot wifi for my phone. (Ends up I almost NEVER use any Verizon data. When I am home I use Comcast Internet for wifi. Since I'm mostly in the car outside the home, I found I could reduce my Verizon Data plan to the bare minimum, pick up the Audi ATT hotspot unlimited option for the car, and have it come out pretty much a wash in the cost. This gives me access to my streaming services like Spotify and Tidal via Alexa--once you start it via Alexa, you can advance it using MMI touch display or steering wheel controls--without having to plug my phone in for Android Auto; Also, through Audi hotspot you get a subscription to Amazon Music Prime which you can access through the MMI touch screen display or steering wheel controls.)

So, if I have my Verizon-service phone in the "phone box", is it able to access the external antenna boost for my phone signal?

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I guess what puzzles me is why they tell you to contact ATT or TMobile in order to use signal booster. My phone is on Verizon. Right now I am paying to have the Audi wifi hot spot (which is ONLY ATT for 2019 cars), so when I am in the car, I switch to the ATT Audi hotspot wifi for my phone. (Ends up I almost NEVER use any Verizon data. When I am home I use Comcast Internet for wifi. Since I'm mostly in the car outside the home, I found I could reduce my Verizon Data plan to the bare minimum, pick up the Audi ATT hotspot unlimited option for the car, and have it come out pretty much a wash in the cost. This gives me access to my streaming services like Spotify and Tidal via Alexa--once you start it via Alexa, you can advance it using MMI touch display or steering wheel controls--without having to plug my phone in for Android Auto; Also, through Audi hotspot you get a subscription to Amazon Music Prime which you can access through the MMI touch screen display or steering wheel controls.)

So, if I have my Verizon-service phone in the "phone box", is it able to access the external antenna boost for my phone signal?
That's actually an interesting way to do things, using the Audi hotspot as the primary data source. The price is certainly good. If I ever have to give up my (free) work cell, I'll probably do that. My personal line is through Google Voice, so I'm certainly flexible. I could even jump back to Google Fi which is very cheap if you don't use much data.

But as for the phone box, there is nothing to indicate it's limited to specific carriers or bands. I'm guessing that letter Audi sent is the usual FCC/Legal disclaimer stuff. In fact, I can see the signal strength in the MMI screen increases multiple bars with my AT&T phone as soon as it goes in the box. Give it a try.

Reactions: TJL

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I actually did find some stuff regarding that notice Audi sent out. Per the FCC, it seems there are new rules that require consumer signal boosters to be "registered" with your carrier for approval. Basically, it's to ensure it doesn't interfere with their network, which appears to be targetting older or improperly installed devices. And still seems to be more of a rubber stamp approval.

I wouldn't expect something as new as the Audi to have an issue. And there doesn't seem to be anything physically stopping you from using it. In either case, up to the owner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts