Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had my e-tron for about 2 months now and am consistently getting about 204 on 100% full charge, and about 163 on 80% charge. But, that is with HVAC off. Looking at the average mi/kwh is about 2.2.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I charged to 90% and the range shows only 166 miles available. After some quick math it seems this is based on the fact that the battery is throttled to 83.6kW and my long term average kWh/100 miles:

83.6kW x 0.9 / 44.7 kWh per hundred miles x 100 = 168 while is very close to displayed range.

I am guessing that range difference we are seeing are due to changes in Long Term memory mileage history.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When we first received the eTron, each morning after fully charging, the range would show as 220 miles. A few weeks later, the range showed as 213 miles. Then the next month it showed as 208 miles. Now a full charge shows a range of 199 miles. Our car is not yet 3 months old. I am hoping that our range does not continue to deteriorate. Has anyone else experienced a decrease in range?
This has happened to me too...I took it back to the dealership and had a full check up on it and they found nothing wrong with it. They reset the entire system because they said it could be that it is due to the way I drive. I explained that it couldn't because when I first got the car I would charge it at home and it would stop charging at 210 Miles range...then it went to 206, then 198, then 1680and now it's at 158. Something is not right and they can't figure it out. I'm almost ready to get my money back on this car.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
The range it estimates is based on the distances it records, vehicle settings, A/C usage, etc. Any car feature that uses electricity can cut into your estimated mileage. Have you made any changes in that regard as the months have progressed? I live in western Oregon where I find I'll be switching seat heaters, A/C, etc on and off at various points in the day. When I do that the calculated mileage (one youtube reviewer refers to this as the "guess-o-meter" mileage or GOM mileage. I think that fits!) will jump around a few miles. Probably the biggest factor for me affecting mileage is driving from a "cold start" as opposed to a "preconditioned start". Cold start will bleed the miles and that affects the GOM calculation. When I first got the car (I charge to 80%, pretty much exclusively at home with the 240V Audi charger) my GOM would show close to 180 mi. Now it will bounce around from the upper 160's to lower 170's.

·
Registered
39 Posts
With our new car home for its first charge at L1, we set it to 80% limit. After charging was complete, the range shows 180 mi. Would this indicate (doing the math) that a full 100% charge would give us a range of 228 miles? We plan on recharging before going below 20% and limiting the charge to 80% - unless we plan on a long trip. I would love to "train" our battery to a long life, and capable of long range when needed. We hope to get a ChargePoint Home Flex installed when local electricians have time. The posts on this forum are extremely helpful to us new owners.

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55 2020. Jaguar iPace HSE 2019.
188 Posts
We're only getting 175-185 at 100% (eTron 55). My wife drives it like she stole it which might have something to do with it... :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I charge to 80% and the suggested range is between 150-181 miles, depending on who and how it has been previously driven.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
With our new car home for its first charge at L1, we set it to 80% limit. After charging was complete, the range shows 180 mi. Would this indicate (doing the math) that a full 100% charge would give us a range of 228 miles? We plan on recharging before going below 20% and limiting the charge to 80% - unless we plan on a long trip. I would love to "train" our battery to a long life, and capable of long range when needed. We hope to get a ChargePoint Home Flex installed when local electricians have time. The posts on this forum are extremely helpful to us new owners.
Yep, the math checks out. And sounds like you are getting a pretty good EV efficiency rating (right now), probably about 2.6kW/mile (86kWh usable battery capacity x 2.6kW = 228 mile range). Although the "training" is just you teaching the computer that you drive more efficiently and therefore it shows you have a longer "estimated" range. The actual range happens in real-time, depending on consumption, as related to the usual driving factors. The battery capacity doesn't change (unless there is a defect).

So for example, if you are taking a trip and driving at 80mph+, your efficiency would likely decrease, as will the projected range. In other words, not all that different from a gas vehicle. Worse fuel economy = less range. In an EV, less efficiency = less range.

What does help the battery health is staying within 20-80% charge and avoiding fast DC charging unless you need the range for a long drive.

Reactions: TJL

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would love to "train" our battery to a long life, and capable of long range when needed. We hope to get a ChargePoint Home Flex installed when local electricians have time. The posts on this forum are extremely helpful to us new owners.
Hello TJL! I'm right across the water from you in Seattle :)

I used to be a commercial electrician and have dug pretty deep into the EV battery tech because I find it very interesting how these things work. From what I have garnered, L1 or L2 charging from 20%-80% as you have described is the best way to keep the battery healthy in the long run. These things will lose a couple miles per year regardless of what we do to them, but L3 degrades the batteries more quickly. Long-term data is just becoming available, especially on EVs subjected to L3 charging, and my bet is that it shows that early Teslas that rarely or never used L3 charging retain more capacity than Teslas that frequently used DC Fast Charging.
You will find many etron owners that plan to have their vehicles for only a year or two and have little concern with how they treat the battery. I am not a luxury car guy, plan to drive the etron for over a decade, etc. so I charge following the parameters you describe!

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Hello TJL! I'm right across the water from you in Seattle :)

I used to be a commercial electrician and have dug pretty deep into the EV battery tech because I find it very interesting how these things work. From what I have garnered, L1 or L2 charging from 20%-80% as you have described is the best way to keep the battery healthy in the long run. These things will lose a couple miles per year regardless of what we do to them, but L3 degrades the batteries more quickly. Long-term data is just becoming available, especially on EVs subjected to L3 charging, and my bet is that it shows that early Teslas that rarely or never used L3 charging retain more capacity than Teslas that frequently used DC Fast Charging.
You will find many etron owners that plan to have their vehicles for only a year or two and have little concern with how they treat the battery. I am not a luxury car guy, plan to drive the etron for over a decade, etc. so I charge following the parameters you describe!
Also keep in mind that since Audi only allows use of 86kWh out of the 95kWh battery pack (2019 - 2020 E-Tron), your "usable" capacity should remain relatively consistent over a longer period of time. That extra capacity allows the battery to hide normal wear as cells naturally fade or die over time. It also allows for safer extended DC faster charging.

Personally, I'd still like to see that opened up more, as they are starting to do for the '21+ MY.

Reactions: Joe

·
Registered
188 Posts
...Personally, I'd still like to see that opened up more, as they are starting to do for the '21+ MY.
Yes. Jaguar did this with a firmware update a few months ago. Added about 3-5% to the usable range at the expense of some unreliability on the GOM at the bottom end...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sales folks at the dealer were likewise speculating that Audi might perhaps use firmware to update the 2019 e-trons. But like Joe, we are in this for the long-term haul. Nicest car we'vee ver owned or ever plan to own! (Our other cars are a pick-up truck and my husband's (he's the original owner) shiny little red 1960 VW bug.) We hope to follow Omegafiler's guidelines for a long life for this beauty. And as to infrequent L3 charging, that is highly likely as there is no such charging station in our county - just a ferry ride from Seattle!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
With my last two cars, both Audi's, I owned one for 10 and the other for 13 years. In looking at EV's, even the etron, I developed the impression that this tech still has a way to go, but very close to some significant improvements. So, I decided to lease for the first time in my life, with the notion that I would upgrade to another EV when the lease expires.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Matters little how you pay for it, you know it'll cost.

My own view is that I like new, I want a full warranty and I want the simplicity and certainty of a known monthly cost. So I always lease with minimal deposit. It's then £xx per month, plus "fuel" and insurance and nothing else, ever. And I get a new car every couple of years.

·
Registered
96 Posts
E-tron changing range after charge

I have owned my E-tron for around 5 weeks now in France where I live and have made several long trips (1,000 Km) what I'm finding is that charging at home to 100% will give me an average range of 349 km (although once it actually went to 380km). On my recent long trip from the Uk back to France using the Ionity superchargers 100% charge was only providing 290km so not enough to get to the next super charger meaning that we had to do an unscheduled stop at another charger just for a top up to get to the next super charger. Maybe the range is reducing because the batteries are hot. I'm sure I read in the manual is says that ideally you should wait 1 hour to allow the batteries to cool down after a 100% charge but can't seem to find this again to quote. So any ideas why my charge rate is so direct when on a long journey?
I noticed that when charging from L3 chargers, after that somehow the range drops quicker after that then if you charged at L2 charger

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I am thinking it is likely that you boil off more miles for awhile if you drive fresh from charging at an L3 charger due to the battery being heated up by the charging. This article includes a typical EV battery efficiency curve as a function of temperature. It drops on either side of the typical 70F sweet spot. In fact, the efficiency falls off faster on the high temp end of the curve. So, spend 30 minutes charging your battery and then go get a second cup of coffee.

·
Registered
1 Posts
E-tron changing range after charge

I have owned my E-tron for around 5 weeks now in France where I live and have made several long trips (1,000 Km) what I'm finding is that charging at home to 100% will give me an average range of 349 km (although once it actually went to 380km). On my recent long trip from the Uk back to France using the Ionity superchargers 100% charge was only providing 290km so not enough to get to the next super charger meaning that we had to do an unscheduled stop at another charger just for a top up to get to the next super charger. Maybe the range is reducing because the batteries are hot. I'm sure I read in the manual is says that ideally you should wait 1 hour to allow the batteries to cool down after a 100% charge but can't seem to find this again to quote. So any ideas why my charge rate is so direct when on a long journey?
I would like to find the answer as well. I got my Etron 4 weeks ago (in Montreal,Canada) and I was getting around 330 km range . The past 2 charges I have gotten 300km followed by 280Km at 100% charge. I’m wondering if the weather as anything to do with it. (4 weeks ago 15C and now 4C) I’ll keep track of it and get back to you. Please do the same.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Weather (cold) definitely affects it significatly. Common to all Evs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When we first received the eTron, each morning after fully charging, the range would show as 220 miles. A few weeks later, the range showed as 213 miles. Then the next month it showed as 208 miles. Now a full charge shows a range of 199 miles. Our car is not yet 3 months old. I am hoping that our range does not continue to deteriorate. Has anyone else experienced a decrease in range?
We use to full charge at around 200 or so. A month or so ago we noticed that with a full charge we were in the 180 range. We generally only charge at 60% but when that number lowered we tried the full charge to see if we just had a problem with the %. Nope- something happened so that we called our AUDI dealer. Unfortunately the response has been less than stellar-no response. So will call again next week to see if they are familiar with this deteriorating mileage problem and what solutions they have to offer.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
We use to full charge at around 200 or so. A month or so ago we noticed that with a full charge we were in the 180 range. We generally only charge at 60% but when that number lowered we tried the full charge to see if we just had a problem with the %. Nope- something happened so that we called our AUDI dealer. Unfortunately the response has been less than stellar-no response. So will call again next week to see if they are familiar with this deteriorating mileage problem and what solutions they have to offer.
Has your weather changed for the colder? Both battery capacity and battery efficiency are strongly influenced by the weather.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts