Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It will happen eventually, but when does everyone think the e-tron will be obsolete enough that its tech is no longer appealing compared to what will on the market? Also, considering that, when do you see yourself moving on and what to?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Driveline technology is moving so rapidly that it's likely it already is! It'll more obviously be obsolete when Audi bring out a new one.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
256 Posts
I would say it is still relevant and exciting. Looking at what is on the market now - i.e. today - there isn't much competition by way of alternative cars at this size, with 4 wheel drive, fast charging speed (and flat charge curve), features, comfort etc. Maybe the Mercedes EQC is the closest and you have Tesla Y and X.

I know, the rest of the competition is coming next year of course.

Likely scenario is then Audi will iterate and improve (efficiency and range primarily you'd think) in the coming 2-3 years and our current models will be 'obsolete' but I think the e-tron format is too popular and too good to drop from the range. In the 2nd hand market in 2-3 years I think our current e-trons will be a popular choice, the 'limited' range and relatively poor efficiency should be less of an issue as charging networks should be significantly more developed by then.

·
Registered
244 Posts
EVs are almost like cell phones and laptops, as soon as the new one comes out the current one starts getting outdated. As far as the name/model that's not going anywhere.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would say it is still relevant and exciting. Looking at what is on the market now - i.e. today - there isn't much competition by way of alternative cars at this size, with 4 wheel drive, fast charging speed (and flat charge curve), features, comfort etc. Maybe the Mercedes EQC is the closest and you have Tesla Y and X.

I know, the rest of the competition is coming next year of course.

Likely scenario is then Audi will iterate and improve (efficiency and range primarily you'd think) in the coming 2-3 years and our current models will be 'obsolete' but I think the e-tron format is too popular and too good to drop from the range. In the 2nd hand market in 2-3 years I think our current e-trons will be a popular choice, the 'limited' range and relatively poor efficiency should be less of an issue as charging networks should be significantly more developed by then.
Do you think we could be in for a mid-cycle refresh that improves on efficiency, range, design and more in ways that keep it further away from being obsolete? The smaller Q4 e-tron arriving in 2021 seems to signal that.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
256 Posts
Do you think we could be in for a mid-cycle refresh that improves on efficiency, range, design and more in ways that keep it further away from being obsolete? The smaller Q4 e-tron arriving in 2021 seems to signal that.
You know it makes sense. An updated 22 model perhaps? I can't see efficiency and range gains being all that much having checked the expected range of the Enyaq and ID4. Feels like there needs to be a step up in battery tech.

First ID.4 tests are showing middling range. Not much better, if at all.
Yea. And the price?! £60k expected here in the UK.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think the one area that could be improved simply but the cost would not be cheap is the battery. New battery technologies are coming out (Nanobolt Lithium Tungsten) that could (once the price and viability of large scale production becomes sensible) allow for either a replacement of the 700kg of battery with a battery half or a third of the density gaining even more performance and though the reduction in weight and increased in range. Or a full replacement which would mean no increase in performance but a range that is much more usable for road trips. We will see. A lot easier to change the power source than to change an engine, and in reality the pack will probably have to be replaced at the 8 - 10 year point anyway.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You know it makes sense. An updated 22 model perhaps? I can't see efficiency and range gains being all that much having checked the expected range of the Enyaq and ID4. Feels like there needs to be a step up in battery tech.
22 seems likely especially when it comes to giving our e-tron SUV's a facelift.

The Q4 e-tron and e-tron GT seem to wear some styling to could expect.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It will happen eventually, but when does everyone think the e-tron will be obsolete enough that its tech is no longer appealing compared to what will on the market? Also, considering that, when do you see yourself moving on and what to?
EVs are almost like cell phones and laptops, as soon as the new one comes out the current one starts getting outdated. As far as the name/model that's not going anywhere.
Question is what will happen to the Etrons we have in regards to resale if we are still holding on to them. If more Evs come out, especially the same category as the Etron with higher range and same pricin? Battery technology is moving fast, they might just have to come up with a new Etron by 2024 with higher range amd more or less same pricingto remain competitive in the market. we know mercedse eqe & eqs are already in the pipeline with 400 miles plus range expected to release in 2022 . Then what?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Question is what will happen to the Etrons we have in regards to resale if we are still holding on to them. If more Evs come out, especially the same category as the Etron with higher range and same pricin? Battery technology is moving fast, they might just have to come up with a new Etron by 2024 with higher range amd more or less same pricingto remain competitive in the market. we know mercedse eqe & eqs are already in the pipeline with 400 miles plus range expected to release in 2022 . Then what?
Yes, that's actually my number one concern, the depreciation curve. AND its not looking good...

"An Audi e-tron will depreciate 58% after 5 years and have a 5 year resale value of $34,463."

Tesla's are very much the opposite.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As long as the EV market is driven primarily by range, I guess every EV will become less competitive as time goes on. But I didn't get the e-tron for its range. I decided it has enough for me, and I prefer almost everything else about it to anything else, EV or ICE. So in regard to general automobile features that appeal to people and drive "obsolescence," it all depends on what comes out to compete. For me, for one thing, if they had fewer touchscreens and more tactile controls, I would consider it a step forward. I love the position of the wheel and toggle switches on our A3 e-tron.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes, that's actually my number one concern, the depreciation curve. AND its not looking good...

"An Audi e-tron will depreciate 58% after 5 years and have a 5 year resale value of $34,463."

Tesla's are very much the opposite.
that doesnt look to good. If this is true, I guess its best to flip after a year or two

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
256 Posts
As long as the EV market is driven primarily by range, I guess every EV will become less competitive as time goes on. But I didn't get the e-tron for its range. I decided it has enough for me, and I prefer almost everything else about it to anything else, EV or ICE. So in regard to general automobile features that appeal to people and drive "obsolescence," it all depends on what comes out to compete. For me, for one thing, if they had fewer touchscreens and more tactile controls, I would consider it a step forward. I love the position of the wheel and toggle switches on our A3 e-tron.
Yep I think a lot of people looking for a used EV will be of a similar mindset. The range is less than some other EVs but the charge speed and curve is better than most EVs. If the availability of 100kW chargers improves over the next 2 years then range will be a moot point for many. The rest of the car is still extraordinary. I personally can't see the depreciation curve being so steep, but I'm no industry expert!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
that doesnt look to good. If this is true, I guess its best to flip after a year or two
Do you see yourself joining a vehicle subscription program if Audi offers it for the e-tron?
Starting to consider it myself as automakers start to offer it more. In the end, we might not be in the hole nearly as much and get more of the Audi experience.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts