Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 2019 E-tron Prestige (4500 miles only). I am so excited! The car is going to ship from California to Georgia. I am planning to get ChargePoint 240 V charger install at home. Which one should I chose? NEMA 6-50 or NEMA 14-50?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WNXTHNW

Thanks in advance
Mark

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
137 Posts
Here's the documentation for the Flex:

Might want to make sure your electrician is familiar with the recommended wire gauges and breaker. It's also worth noting that the plug version of the Flex is difficult to install outside, since it requires an upside down outlet. Otherwise, great EVSE!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of you! One more question. Is there any advantage of hardwire installation of the charger instead of plug-in?. I am planning to install in the garage with 50 A circuit rating.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
137 Posts
Sure! Hardwiring a ChargePoint Flex can support higher amperages, up to 70-80A, but the continuous load is limited to 50A.
My EVSE supports 40A charging (from a 50A line) and it's overkill for me. That's around 10% per hour. It may also be better for the battery to charge slower, but I'll admit there is some disagreement there.

A plugged EVSE is easier to take with you if you move.

Also, congrats on the car purchase!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sure! Hardwiring a ChargePoint Flex can support higher amperages, up to 70-80A, but the continuous load is limited to 50A.
My EVSE supports 40A charging (from a 50A line) and it's overkill for me. That's around 10% per hour. It may also be better for the battery to charge slower, but I'll admit there is some disagreement there.

A plugged EVSE is easier to take with you if you move.

Also, congrats on the car purchase!
Right, a plug-in charger is limited to up to 48A. So if you want to go with a 50A charger it needs to be hardwired. The % difference in charging time, 40 compared to 50, is pretty small.

I have really only heard of people getting an outlet for an EV getting the NEMA 14-50.

·
Registered
45 Posts
And you can't use a plug on the lower Amp units.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The car comes with a 14-50 plug charger, however, I did get the ChargePoint Flex for the house and keep the Audi supplied charger in the car. It's good to have a backup charger just in case one fails. The ChargePoint app has nice reporting features.
Good luck with your purchase, we are smitten with our demo Prestige after 8K miles purchased last Christmas.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have hardwired ChargePoint Flex at my house
it allows me to charge the car 27 miles per hour, or at 11.1 KW uptake from the charger
for the outlet setup, you’ll be limited to 9.6 KW uptake, or about 20 miles per hour
it makes a huge difference for me with my driving pattern
also, for outside installation hardwire is a must, IMHO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts