Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I charged my Etron for the first time at a 350kwhr Electrify America charger. I had 43% when I started and it took 90 minutes to reach 100% (traveling a long distance). Everything I’ve read says a 150 kwr station would only take 30 minutes from 0-80%…why did it rake so long on the 350 kwr charger?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I charged my Etron for the first time at a 350kwhr Electrify America charger. I had 43% when I started and it took 90 minutes to reach 100% (traveling a long distance). Everything I’ve read says a 150 kwr station would only take 30 minutes from 0-80%…why did it rake so long on the 350 kwr charger?
Because they are all the same really. 350 or 150 dont matter much. Most if not all ev on the road right now at least that i have had don't charge above 150 anyway so hooking it to a 350 isn't gonna change anything. Most every time I hook up either my bmw i4 or the audi etron that start out for a few mins at a high rate but quickly drop to about 80ish kwh charging and once you hit 80% they want you off the charger so it slows wayyyyy down after 80% that last 20% will take as long as the first 80%

also look at this web site it will explain the charging. I dont think on the etron it matters you wont get any faster charging on a 350 over a 150 as I believe the max charge rate for the etron non 55 is 120kwh.

·
Registered
132 Posts
90 minutes from 43% to 90% does seem excessive
on 150 kW+ charger going from even 10% to 90% should take no more than 40 min.
Two possible reasons: either the charger is pushing a lot less power than advertised or something is wrong with your car.
I’d bet heavily on the former, as charging infrastructure is still in its infancy.
When charging next time at a fast charger, you can observe the actual power being delivered either on the charging pedestal or on your car dashboard.
I bet that charger you used was delivering very little, maybe 40 kW or so.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron premium plus SUV
12 Posts
I agree with the other two commenters:
1) the e-tron SUV can only accept a max charge rate of 150 kW. Its totally ok to use a 350kW charger though the car will just step down the power to a max of 150 when charging.
2) Electrify America takes it on the chin a lot in the forums, but I just finished a cross country drive using them (more or less) exclusively with very little issues. It sounds like you had an issue similar to what happened to me in Hammond LA. I plugged in and the car maxed out at 40kw. in this case I just moved over to the next charger and reconnected and the rate jumped back up to 147kw and I was back on the road in 25 min.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Edition One
1,342 Posts
n this case I just moved over to the next charger and reconnected and the rate jumped back up to 147kw and I was back on the road in 25 min.
Lucky you ... once upon a time when I did need to top up in the mountains, all ports but one were occupied by cars just sitting there and not charging, so I had to drawl at 40kw rate for a good hour to get enough charge to get home.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This sounds like the well-known EA charger thermal limiting bug. After about 10-15 min the charger will throttle down to 36 kW and stay there. This is due to overheating in the cable or connector for various reasons. Hot weather can cause it, or hardware issues.
The solution is to stop and move to a different cable.

Please also note that you have detailed charge rate and load data available to you on the charger screen and on your digital dash. Use it to watch your charging behavior and get to know how it acts. The older EA charging stations are in pretty bad shape, problems are routine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
audi etron that start out for a few mins at a high rate but quickly drop to about 80ish kwh charging and once you hit 80% they want you off the charger so it slows wayyyyy down after 80% that last 20% will take as long as the first 80%
it shouldn’t drop quickly (unless you’re at a high state of charge). The etron has a really good charging curve and can hold above 100kW charge rate past 80%. The 80-100 isn’t because someone doesn’t want you to charge more, it’s because the batteries can’t take the same charge rate as they fill up, and have to slow down to avoid damage. 80-100 takes longer than 60-80 for sure, but it’s not remotely the same as 0-80.

Also, being pedantic but battery capacity is measured in kWh, charging speed is just kW.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you all for the suggestions…now that I’m thinking on it…there was a number showing that was around 30kw…which makes sense that it probably was the charger.
When everything is nominal, you should see 147-150kW on that charger right up to 80%. After that it should slowly ramp down to somewhere around 50kW at 100%.
Here's a decent article: Audi: The e-tron Is Benchmark For DC Fast Charging
With software updates, the actual curve is now a bit faster than this:

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Thank you all for the suggestions…now that I’m thinking on it…there was a number showing that was around 30kw…which makes sense that it probably was the charger.
Yes, it seems the typical process in "pulling up and filling your tank" for an EV is to take a couple of minutes to confirm the charging speed that has been negotiated. If it's too low, try another station.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you remember what was the car (or app) was showing as the actual kw charging? I have had a few of the 150 or 350kw chargers that were not charging at that rate, and much lower. I have called and some of them were reset, and other times I just moved to the other charger and it charged faster.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Because they are all the same really. 350 or 150 dont matter much. Most if not all ev on the road right now at least that i have had don't charge above 150 anyway so hooking it to a 350 isn't gonna change anything. Most every time I hook up either my bmw i4 or the audi etron that start out for a few mins at a high rate but quickly drop to about 80ish kwh charging and once you hit 80% they want you off the charger so it slows wayyyyy down after 80% that last 20% will take as long as the first 80%

also look at this web site it will explain the charging. I dont think on the etron it matters you wont get any faster charging on a 350 over a 150 as I believe the max charge rate for the etron non 55 is 120kwh.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had the same issue. I stopped using 350 and use 150 now. It’s pretty consistent when charging. Usually takes about 30-40 min to 100%. When I’m traveling long distances.
It’s almost as how the 350 is throttled back.

on that subject. There is a campaign going on to throttle back the home charger. I had the house wired for 50 amp. So why would anyone willingly increase the time to charge ?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I had the same issue. I stopped using 350 and use 150 now. It’s pretty consistent when charging. Usually takes about 30-40 min to 100%. When I’m traveling long distances.

on that subject. There is a campaign going on to throttle back the home charger. I had the house wired for 50 amp. So why would anyone willingly increase the time to charge ?
If you mean the campaign for the Audi Compact EVSE, the recall mainly sets the "default" amperage to the "50%" setting of 20A. This is a more "liability protected", new-user recommendation to protect Audi from people who try to use a 30A dryer outlet with the EVSE set at 100%. Feel free to set it back to 100% by pressing and holding the power button for a few seconds if you know your circuit can handle it. The EVSE stays set to 100% until you change it again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
In the two times I tried I’ve never been able to negotiate a connection on a 350kW EA charger, car would just blink white. When you are charging both the charging station as well as the dash will display how much juice you’re getting. If the rate isn’t optimal and you’re pressed for time try a different charger.

·
Registered
12 Posts
yeah so Ill say again the e-tron is limited per Audi at 120kwh charging ( unless you have the 55 quattro then it max at 150). So the 150 kwh chargers is all you need and even then it wont charge at 150. using the 350 kwh charger does nothing and still will only charge at rates upto 120. using the 350 over the 150 will not speed up charging on these cars. and unless everything is just environmentally perfect you are not gonna see the 120 either. Realistically expect 100 to 80 kwh charge rates for this car. Depending on what model you have the car only has a 71 or 95 kwh battery

·
Registered
78 Posts
yeah so Ill say again the e-tron is limited per Audi at 120kwh charging ( unless you have the 55 quattro then it max at 150). So the 150 kwh chargers is all you need and even then it wont charge at 150. using the 350 kwh charger does nothing and still will only charge at rates upto 120. using the 350 over the 150 will not speed up charging on these cars. and unless everything is just environmentally perfect you are not gonna see the 120 either. Realistically expect 100 to 80 kwh charge rates for this car. Depending on what model you have the car only has a 71 or 95 kwh battery
in the US we only have the 55 spec model (no lower trim choice), so all US models will charge at 150kW. I’ll say again that charging speed is measured in kW not kWh (which is used for battery capacity.

US owners should expect to see a steady charging curve that doesn’t drop below 100kW until after 80% state of charge. Using a charge greater than 150kW won’t make an impact, I agree, but getting 150kW (or very close) isn’t an “in ideal circumstances” but should be regularly seen when starting at lower states of charge.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Just curious... is the campaign to throttle back the home charger something Audi is pushing to help prolong the battery life or something else?

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you mean the campaign for the Audi Compact EVSE, the recall mainly sets the "default" amperage to the "50%" setting of 20A. This is a more "liability protected", new-user recommendation to protect Audi from people who try to use a 30A dryer outlet with the EVSE set at 100%. Feel free to set it back to 100% by pressing and holding the power button for a few seconds if you know your circuit can handle it. The EVSE stays set to 100% until you change it again.
Thanks good to know. They didn’t explain it very well at the dealer. I knew it was just a liability thing. For those who didn’t upgrade their circuits.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts