Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve ordered an E Tron and I was wondering does the Audi update like a Tesla? Where it can get better over time with more functions?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I’ve ordered an E Tron and I was wondering does the Audi update like a Tesla? Where it can get better over time with more functions?
It does get software updates, but they are not Over The Air like with Tesla. You will need to take your Etron in for "service" where they update the software manually.

There is also a "Purchases" tile in the MMI, where presumably Audi will charge us to unlock software developments that they deem worthy of coughing up more money? I have not seen any info or communication about what this will be used for.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We took ours in and the dealer performed two updates and after we received the car back, the number of warning messages that pop up have actually increased from before the updates. And we were getting quite a few before the updates. We were hoping the updates would fix alot of those warning messages.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My understanding is that the current line of e-trons will not get the full Tesla-like over-air updates. One article I read said part of the issue is that Audi still provides a lot of control with physical knobs and buttons--unlike Tesla's 100% tablet screen-- and they have to be checked to make sure it all syncs with software upgrades. Myself, I prefer the option of physical controls.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There was a good article with a form head of Audi innovation. It was very damning of how traditional auto manufacturers approach vehicle design and where Tesla succeeds in areas like having an updateable platform that can provide the user with updates for years post purchase. It was very interesting to read.

Based on that interview, I would not hold out hope that Audi would do much more than the minimum to maintain the car (read: keep you out of the service shop that costs them $). This makes me disappointed but I am not overly surprised. Traditional OEMs have been building cars like this for years and electronics systems have never been the prime focus of those OEMs. Tesla has that focus and owns everything to do with it because it is truly the heart of the vehicle.

Here is the interview:

Transcript of article
Video of interview

1 - 6 of 6 Posts