Audi E-Tron Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi All and greetings from Swiss.... Good to see I am not the only one with issues but in the same time sad to see so many issues with the etron. My car is going in next week for repair/service/updates (again) and it will be interesting to see what they will be able to fix or not. I will next week write an update and maybe open a section with summary issues if I cannot find one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Virtual Mirror Fault
Well, after a mere ten days and 500 miles my e-tron has been returned to the dealer. This was a directive from Audi in response to the intermittent Virtual Mirror fault. On pick-up I was informed that the mirrors had been fixed but I think they were keen to get the car registered in September knowing it would be back with this fault. I was then asked by the hire car company to travel 20miles to pick up a hire car when I have no transport! A real shame because when the mirrors work they are brilliant.
I think Audi are doing their best and I still love the car but that feeling of having a brand new car has lasted just over a week and when I get it back it won’t feel like a brand new car anymore… does that make sense? I feel like I’ve been robbed of that experience.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Virtual Mirror Fault
Well, after a mere ten days and 500 miles my e-tron has been returned to the dealer. This was a directive from Audi in response to the intermittent Virtual Mirror fault. On pick-up I was informed that the mirrors had been fixed but I think they were keen to get the car registered in September knowing it would be back with this fault. I was then asked by the hire car company to travel 20miles to pick up a hire car when I have no transport! A real shame because when the mirrors work they are brilliant.
I think Audi are doing their best and I still love the car but that feeling of having a brand new car has lasted just over a week and when I get it back it won’t feel like a brand new car anymore… does that make sense? I feel like I’ve been robbed of that experience.
Hi,

I got my car back and the mirror should be fixed now.
Recall Ref: 66L1 - was the fix
I update my sections on issues and fixes for it :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been away for a while, testing my new Etron:) The good news is that I finally received my new car and that it is a fantastic car to look at and ton drive in! But... Unfortunately I have the exact same problems as most of you. By the way, Peter your post with a drill down of the issues you have experienced has been very helpful . Thank you!

I have received my car after the virtual mirror issue had been resolved but this is not the case at all. Next to all of the know issues I also experience that the touch control of the mirror turns on every few minutes without touching the screen and at that moment the screen starts moving up/down/left/right very quickly which makes it almost impossible to see anything in it. next to that I experience extreme fog issues, especially on the passenger mirror. Even after driving in the car for an hour, the fog is still not gone. During daytime this makes the mirror useless for about 80%, at night it is 100% useless.

I have to bring my car back to Audi on the 9th of December and it is going to stay there for a week. I truly hope they can solve all of the major issues. This is definitely not the experience you want to have when you buy a new car. For sure I have never had this before with Volvo and BMW.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been away for a while, testing my new Etron:) The good news is that I finally received my new car and that it is a fantastic car to look at and ton drive in! But... Unfortunately I have the exact same problems as most of you. By the way, Peter your post with a drill down of the issues you have experienced has been very helpful . Thank you!

I have received my car after the virtual mirror issue had been resolved but this is not the case at all. Next to all of the know issues I also experience that the touch control of the mirror turns on every few minutes without touching the screen and at that moment the screen starts moving up/down/left/right very quickly which makes it almost impossible to see anything in it. next to that I experience extreme fog issues, especially on the passenger mirror. Even after driving in the car for an hour, the fog is still not gone. During daytime this makes the mirror useless for about 80%, at night it is 100% useless.

I have to bring my car back to Audi on the 9th of December and it is going to stay there for a week. I truly hope they can solve all of the major issues. This is definitely not the experience you want to have when you buy a new car. For sure I have never had this before with Volvo and BMW.
Totally agree and you've summed up the virtual mirror problems in a nutshell.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thanks for the attached picture.
This certainly looks to be a different issue to the one I am having, where the screen goes nearly black, yours looks like a white out. Of course both make the rear view useless, and probably illegal to even be driving.
I have yet to hear when mine will be fixed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Collecting mine tomorrow at the second attempt. My salesman tells me it was a hardware fix done as a precaution. We shall see what happens. If the cameras fail my fallback is to adapt and attach some old conventional mirrors from the scrapyard over the top of the stalks. Yes, this will look ridiculous, but at least I can get home safely, and maybe it will draw some wider attention to the issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thought I'd post a summary of my experience so far in case there's anyone out there reading this (where are all the UK e tron drivers!)

Picked up the new car on Saturday with my family. Slightly underwhelmed by the experience, but by this time, after all the delays and issues etc, I just wanted to drive it home. On the motorway, the drivers side mirror camera menu display on the screen decided to come on by itself, whilst I was overtaking merging traffic, almost causing an accident. Dangerous would be an understatement. The screen kept doing this all the way home. Also, the passenger side screen was extremely foggy, and as it was night, all I could see was halos around lights and extreme mist. I thought it was condensation on the lens, but no amount of wiping rectified this.

I took it back to the dealership the next day. The master techs are currently working on it. Of course, I will not be picking the car up until the fault has been fixed and full QC checks carried out. Failing that, I will have to look at alternatives, including the R word.

Through all of this, the personell at the dealership have been great, and I certainly cannot complain about the courtesy car they have given me (Q7).

My advice would be, don't go for a launch edition or spec wing mirror cameras. They are a liability. They are at best, a fancy novelty, and at worse, a cause for an accident. In hindsight, I regret speccing the car in this way. Even if a fix is found, who is to say something will not go wrong in future.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
My E-Tron Edition 1 is finally going in for the software update, and possibly a part replacement.
Will update when it happens

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
These are the jobs Authorised by Audi on my E-Tron Launch Edition 1:

The following measures have been flagged as due or required for your e-tron.

57H3
Technical background
A service package has been prepared for Audi e-tron vehicles manufactured within a specific period. It is our intention to ensure the highest standard of product quality. The service campaign includes the following points:

Criterion 01 Software updates for door control electronics.
There is a delay before the doors are opened from the inside and the interior door handle sometimes has to be operated twice.

Criterion 02 Software update for parking aid.
The response of the front parking aid, e.g. near the kerb, is too sensitive.

Criterion 03 updating the universal charging cable.
The charging cable does not store the customers last setting (the charging power is reset to 50% when the vehicle is next charged)

Criterion 04 Sealing coolant expansion tank.
The purpose is to prevent the customer from topping up coolant. Adding more fluid can cause coolant to be transported to the high voltage battery.

Criterion 06 Servicing Dc charging connection.
Unwanted moisture being absorbed by the material on the DC charging cover can cause jamming.

Criterion 09 Servicing high voltage traction cable.
The high voltage harness to the electric drive motor on the rear axle may chafe against the subframe and/or power unit support.

66L1
Technical background
On Audi e-tron vehicles manufactured within a specific period, the EMC (electromagnetic compatibility) of the display units for the digital exterior mirrors may, in rare cases, sporadically be outside the permitted tolerance concerning interference signals.

Criterion 01
The display units for the digital exterior mirrors must be removed and have additional shielding fitted on the vehicles affected. The display units will then be within the permitted EMC tolerance.

66L2

Technical background
On Audi e-tron vehicles with virtual exterior mirrors, the following sporadic function impairments may occur in rare cases:
Unwanted fault message such as “please contact workshop”
Differences in brightness of the display unit ( driver and passenger side)
Automatic kerb function does not work correctly
Virtual exterior mirrors cannot be set correctly

Criterion 01
A software update of the display units for the digital exterior mirror must be carried out on the vehicles effected.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is my latest update. I returned my e-tron on the 1st December, a day after collecting it and discovering the mirror screen fault (see posts above). It is now the 18th and there has been no further news, despite Audi Germany being involved. Shortly after returning the vehicle, I set a reasonable deadline of Friday 20th December to sort the issue or I would pursue rejection. This is now nearly here, so is looking like a likely outcome. I intend to negotiate the order of a new e-tron, this time without the virtual door mirrors.

Has anyone who sent their cars back had any good news in terms of a successful diagnosis and repair?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Here is my latest update. I returned my e-tron on the 1st December, a day after collecting it and discovering the mirror screen fault (see posts above). It is now the 18th and there has been no further news, despite Audi Germany being involved. Shortly after returning the vehicle, I set a reasonable deadline of Friday 20th December to sort the issue or I would pursue rejection. This is now nearly here, so is looking like a likely outcome. I intend to negotiate the order of a new e-tron, this time without the virtual door mirrors.

Has anyone who sent their cars back had any good news in terms of a successful diagnosis and repair?
I did the same, but initially Audi UK refused to listen. I then got in touch with Which? (Consumer association for UK) whose legal team helped formulate an official letter quoting the relevant acts where Audi had failed to provide a vehicle to the expected standards.
By this time Audi claimed that the value of my car had depreciated by £4200 (in 3 months). Finally, after pressure from the business manager at my dealership, Audi UK agreed to pay compensation to set me back to the cost price if I returned my car. However, no new e-Tron with all the options would be available for at least 6 months, so I would still end up paying for a further 6 months depreciation, or I could return the car straightaway, and pay for a hire car while I waited for the new car to be delivered. Either way, I would end up with a financial loss. In the end, I decided to keep the car and the compensation from Audi UK 😁

·
Registered
17 Posts
And here I am eagerly awaiting a call any day now from my dealer that my car with virtual mirrors has arrived and we can set a date to take delivery.

Are the messages here about VMs the exception or the norm? Are their people out there driving around with virtual mirrors who have absolutely no issues? How come the etrons with VMs at the dealers show no sign of issues? Here’s hoping!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’ve got virtual mirrors and don’t have any issues .. I occasionally get a slight fogging issue when it’s cold which makes the screen not as clear, but it doesn’t affect the usability... so slightly frustrating that the misting happens, but doesn’t particularly bother me

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
The virtual mirrors work brilliantly most of the time, and the screens are bright in all weather conditions. However, there seems to be a software issue probably related to inadequate shielding, that causes the problems, which are not universal. It has taken Audi a very long time to acknowledge the problem, and even longer to find a solution.
Don’t be put off by the problems some of us early adopters have had, it is completely new technology, and we were the guinea pigs😜

41 - 60 of 88 Posts