Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Have an 21 etron here in the Midwest. Over the summer, I was getting average efficiency if 3.5-3.8 miles/kw with AC on, now with colder weather(temps in the 20-40F range), efficiency has dropped to 2.0-2.5 miles/kw. That's almost a 40% drop! Is this typical? I'm trying to run the heat as little as possible since my garage keeps the car at 45F overnight. I heard preheating the cabin may help but doesn't this just use more electricity from the wall anyway? Not sure if overall it would be more efficient vs. no preheating.

Thanks!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hello,

Have an 21 etron here in the Midwest. Over the summer, I was getting average efficiency if 3.5-3.8 miles/kw with AC on, now with colder weather(temps in the 20-40F range), efficiency has dropped to 2.0-2.5 miles/kw. That's almost a 40% drop! Is this typical? I'm trying to run the heat as little as possible since my garage keeps the car at 45F overnight. I heard preheating the cabin may help but doesn't this just use more electricity from the wall anyway? Not sure if overall it would be more efficient vs. no preheating.

Thanks!
My Tesla Model S used to lose about 25-30% in winter.
I can’t speak for your eSUV, but from what I understand of my GT, preheating initially draws from the battery, at some point, the battery is replenished IF it is plugged in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

Thanks!
I have an e-Golf SEL in Miinnesota. With a heat pump, I don't see a big hit on battery range until it gets to well below freezing. Being a smaller, more efficient car, my e-Golf typically gets 4-4.5 mi/kWh. On very cold days, this would drop to 2-2.5 mi/kW, a drop similar to what you are seeing. If you do not have a heat pump in your e-tron, I expect you might see pretty significant drops in range anytime you turn on the cabin heater.

Here is some advice to get better range in cold weather. 1. Keep you cabin temperature as low as you can stand. Make up for it with your seat heater and, if you're lucky (I'm not), your steering wheel heater. 2. Preheat your cabin prior to leaving. This uses wall electricity, as you have noted, but it also tends to heat the battery and make it more efficient when you first start out. I typically preheat my cabin to a balmy 72 F or so, then drop the temp to 66-68 when I drive away.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts