Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone running for a winter setup?

I'm looking into 19" wheels (20" currently), and snow tires. It would be nice to find something on the lighter side for efficiency.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I started looking for a winter setup a few months ago - not a lot of choices if you want 19" wheels. I wanted the 19" wheels to try to get a little more range over my 21" wheels during the winter months. Tire Rack had 2 19" wheels from MSW made in a Far East country. The only other 19" wheels are the Audi brand - the etron winter wheels. Someone on these Audi forums said they were using the 19" Audi Q7 wheels. I thought about ordering the Audi winter wheel package for the Q7 models, but could not confirm if they would fit the etron (the regular 19" standard Q7 wheel is different from their winter wheel).

I finally bought a used Audi etron winter set - the wheels are ugly, but I'll live with them for 5 months of winter. When I had them installed at the Audi dealer I watched 3 or 4 of the service techs take photos of the wheels. The tech that drove it out of the service bay said they never saw them before and it made the etron look like a lego car.

One thing I noticed right away is the way the tire sidewall bulged out on the 8" wheel vs. a regular Audi 8.5" wheel. It should protect the rim from wheel rash.

Yesterday I drove about 35 miles mixed highway & local and averaged 2.4 kwh/mi in 24 degree weather.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Are those stickers on the wheels? That definitely gives it something in common with lego 😂

To be honest though, smaller wheels with more tire look better on big SUVs. I never got the huge wheel thing.

Have you noticed a difference in noise?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks! Are those stickers on the wheels? That definitely gives it something in common with lego 😂

To be honest though, smaller wheels with more tire look better on big SUVs. I never got the huge wheel thing.

Have you noticed a difference in noise?
It looks more like paint than a sticker. What ever it is, it's under the clear coat finish on the wheel. Because the wheel is only 8" wide instead of the normal 8.5" wide of most Audi 19" wheels, the tire looks like it's ballooned out over the wheel, hopefully protecting it from most curb rash. The wheel itself has an almost smooth, aero design to it. And yes, I definitely hear the snow tire noise, but it's not to bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts