Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's cold in the northeast. Wondering what people's experience is with below freezing temperatures. I have found the range is as much as 20% below the normal performance. So, if the car charges to show a 200 mile range, i have gotten as little as 160 miles. Do people find pre-warming the car helps? Any other thoughts on cold weather performance?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cold weather range issue in Utah

Have seen the same cold weather 20% drop in range here is Salt Lake City, Ut. Was getting about 160 mi on 80% charge, now getting 120 mi. What is really strange is wild fluctuations in range shown in car. Yesterday after 80% charge, range in car showed 121 mi, then showed 164 mi after driving about ten mins back down to 116 mi after 18 mi drive in city. Almost impossible to know what range really is with these kind of issues.:(

·
Registered
4 Posts
I posted this on a related thread but the report seems pertinent to this topic.
===============

https://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/f...ing-Report.pdf

This is an interesting report (link above) showing the effect of winter weather on range.

....here is a quote from the findings.....

"Compared to 75°F, HVAC use at 20°F resulted in an average reduction of combined driving range and
combined MPGe by 41 percent and 39 percent, respectively. HVAC use at 95°F resulted in an average
reduction of both combined driving range and combined MPGe by 17 percent."

.......also note that this is based on an average of several BEV cars (but e-tron is not in the mix).....however the results are likely applicable to what we would see with the e-tron.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does anyone know for certain that the eTron has a heat pump? That would make sense to conserve energy in the cold, but when I have the climate control on, I don't hear any particular noise coming from the car; my heat pump at home makes plenty of noise when it's running, so I would imagine a smaller version in a car would also have some noise to let you know its working.

If the eTron is just using resistance heat in cold weather, that would be a battery killer.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I don't hear any particular noise coming from the car; my heat pump at home makes plenty of noise when it's running
When sitting in the garage, ignition on, cabin heat on, my e-tron definitely makes noise! Not noticeable while driving though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When sitting in the garage, ignition on, cabin heat on, my e-tron definitely makes noise! Not noticeable while driving though.
I will have to listen more carefully next time. It's 70 degrees here, so I need to wait for it to cool down.....

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have had my e-tron for about 2 months. If you have not done it yet, I recommend you go into the MMI and put the "battery efficiency" bar on your virtual cockpit. It displays how many "mi/kWh or km/kWh" you are effectively getting. I am in the Pacific Northwest and have had my car for about 2 months. A week or so ago, on a morning in the 30's F, I cold started my car in the garage and headed out for a meeting. The e-tron is rated to get a (pretty poor) maximum efficiency of about 2mi/kWh. With my cold start I was getting 0.8 or so at the beginning! As I drove, the available miles peeled away while the efficiency slowly climbed to 1.6---it to a good chunk of my 11 mi trip to get there. It was maybe 1.8 by the time I arrived. The next time out, I set up a Charger Timer (activating the heating option) to complete a charge soon before I was to leave. This, I think, allows both for cabin heating and some battery heating (I think the battery likes to be above 40 F) that is supposed to stay active up to 10 minutes or so after your departure time. This heating is done by taking power from the wall, NOT the battery. So this time, when I left, the cabin was warm, the battery charged to 80% (I have set that as my upper limit) and the efficiency was up to 1.6 or 1.7 mi/kWh in just a few minutes. Not long after it climbed up to the 1.9 to 2.9 range. Mileage loss was MUCH less extreme. Using a cold battery and having to heat up the cabin with battery juice really takes its toll on mileage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's cold in the northeast. Wondering what people's experience is with below freezing temperatures. I have found the range is as much as 20% below the normal performance. So, if the car charges to show a 200 mile range, i have gotten as little as 160 miles. Do people find pre-warming the car helps? Any other thoughts on cold weather performance?
is this because you keep the heater on? So you are comparing when the heater is on vs when the heater is off? Or is that while all other things constant and only weather change outside that is in question?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Temperature has a significant impact on battery capacity and performance. That is a problem that is in addition to the need to heat the cabin. Audi has the best thermal management of the battery in the industry (one reason it is so popular in Norway), but even so, when it turns cold, I have found a noticeable mileage drop shown on my GOM, even when the battery status shows the usual 80% of capacity. If you precondition the car by setting up the car via MyAudi app to charge and precondition, the car will warm the cabin pulling current from the wall, and so not affecting total battery charge (which will still take a hit on total capacity if your garage is chilly). Preconditioning also allows the battery to be warmed. I find that with preconditioning the time it takes my car to reach maximum efficiency (about 2.3 KwH/mi for me) is about half the time, compared to not preconditioning. The couple of times I have had a comparison situation, it seemed to give me an extra 15 mi, or so.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is the very unfortunate issue with the e-tron. I tried for 4 months to resolve this issue with updates and tricks. I live in Colorado. With the climate here and the terrain the range was not practical and I ended up getting rid of the car.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This is the very unfortunate issue with the e-tron. I tried for 4 months to resolve this issue with updates and tricks. I live in Colorado. With the climate here and the terrain the range was not practical and I ended up getting rid of the car.
Thanks for sharing your story on a dozen threads :ROFLMAO:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts