Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

Have you experienced this wireless phone charging overheating issue?

• Yes!

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Not yet ...

Votes: 1 20.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per the discussion here and per the attached TSB, there is a known issue with the Phone Box's wireless charging, especially when it comes to non-plus iPhone sizes (oh, I'm nonplussed all right). I opted for the iPhone 12 mini and must be paying a higher price than other non-plus iPhone users. Apparently the smaller phones are not quite centered on the charging pad and that leads to overcompensation by the wireless charging system which then leads to overheating (I really wanted to insert the word "premature" in there to go along with the motif but, enough of that silliness). The iPhone will enter a state where it's on but non-functional (CarPlay disconnects, etc.). Touching the screen displays a message that the phone is overheating and needs to cool down before it can be used again. I had to move the phone to the other side of the clip that holds it secure against the wireless charging pad. I really didn't want it in my hand or lap while it cooled down as it felt hot enough that it could explode any second (which brought back painful iPhone 3GS memories). Once the phone cools down sufficiently, the phone instantly resumes regular operation.

There is a "centering kit" (8W0051431) but it's meant for the horizontally oriented Phone Box setups in other models. I don't know if/how it will work in our vertical setup. The corners in the kit have a wedge that needs to be inserted around the charging pad and I don't think we have that kind of depth or crack around the pad. I'll check next time I'm in the car. If it could fit (even with some modification and adhesive), it just might work (perhaps with some light Dremel or padding work to make it a perfect fit for your specific device). $27 + S/H is worth it if that means I don't have to worry about my phone dying or catching on fire.

Attachments

Reactions: azlkk

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019
33 Posts
Errr.. I don't have an iphone. Or a phone with wireless charging. Maybe doesn't apply as a choice?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Errr.. I don't have an iphone. Or a phone with wireless charging. Maybe doesn't apply as a choice?
Thanks for asking. This poll does not apply to you and anyone else who is not affected by this TSB ... otherwise it would be a small number of "Yes!", a couple thousand "Not yet ...", and 8 billion "N/A".

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
I have the iPhone 12 Pro Max and I no longer use the wireless charging as it was overheating the phone. I have an E-Tron 2019.
Same here I have 12 Pro Max and it overheats
i was told by my dealer that it’s a known issue and it’s because Apples MagSafe redesign, i have an 11 Pro Max and it charges fine with no over heating issues

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the iPhone 12 Pro and I can't seem to find a sweet spot where it doesn't get hot over time. Now using the overpriced OEM lightning cable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts