Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI All,

This is something I would like to see or think would be good, some may thing that's silly but what to you ladies and gent think of this??

A.) Short Trip calculations
The short trip advisor starts with 99.99KW usage, this does not make sense. If this is really the case of 99KW on start than the car is empty after 45 minutes standing… Here is should reset itself and start from 0.0 and work its way up… (this is no combustion engine where it is correct 0 start from the top due the nature of fuel burning in cold status of an engine).

B.) Battery Temperature
The info is missing. It would be good to display during the charging state the temperature of the battery with the other information’s during charging.
Also during driving, as a driver, what is useful is to have a separate menu entry for battery status (temperature). This could or should be something like this:
Sample but whatever the ranges should be can Audi decide and they know better
• Cold: e.g. -40 to +25c
• Warm: e.g. +26 to +65c
• Hot: e.g. +66 to +100c
As a driver is the info valuable as it shows not just the info but in the same time could prevent issue on the long run. Could be as a pie-chart displayed or any other way.

C.) Steering wheel hotlink button *
The * button on the steering wheel is very limited on what can be set for fast access.
Good would be also to allow things like
• MAX Defrost – front
• Max Defrost – back
This would help safety, when you drive in a tunnel and windows fog up instantly, you could click on the steering wheels * button to switch on the defrost without looking down to look for it. When the windows fog up instantly it is already a stress situation for a driver and this would help so the driver can concentrate on the road and does not need to look for the button on the air condition panel.

just my thought of would be good (or maybe not lol )

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’d like to see

Heated steering wheel (not sure why this was removed from the buid)
Self parking (all Audi’s have this options, why not the e-Tron - we only get camera assistance)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Now that I have taken some longer trips, post-COVID, I am finding I spend a lot of time letting the car simply coast, with my right foot slightly lifted above the accelerator pedal. It would be nice to have a little "foot rest" space to the right of the accelerator pedal where you could place your foot when not using it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Oddly enough, I’ve been doing the same as I read more and find out about how they setup the car to drive like a normal vehicle. I drive it like that on local streets and use the first level of regen to slow down and second level to come close to a stop. Certainly get more range that way. Going down hills with a steep enough grade, I activate the first level of regen to get some range back. I would appreciate a place to put my foot as well. That huge console is useless for space and takes up a lot of room in the center area. Let’s hope they come up with a better interior in the next version.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Oddly enough, I’ve been doing the same as I read more and find out about how they setup the car to drive like a normal vehicle. I drive it like that on local streets and use the first level of regen to slow down and second level to come close to a stop. Certainly get more range that way. Going down hills with a steep enough grade, I activate the first level of regen to get some range back. I would appreciate a place to put my foot as well. That huge console is useless for space and takes up a lot of room in the center area. Let’s hope they come up with a better interior in the next version.
If you want to squeeze the greatest efficiency out of the car, you should COAST as much as you can. If you use regen, about 15% of that kinetic energy that you are converting into battery charge is lost as heat; another 15% is lost when you turn that battery charge back into kinetic energy. Therefore, when using regen to recharge the battery 25-30% of that kinetic energy is lost as heat. When going down hill, this is not much of an issue, since you are applying only as much regen as you need to slow you to your desired speed in real life driving. (However, to illustrate the benefit of Coasting, if you were to coast straight down a hill out onto a plain and just let yourself coast as far as the car will go, you will go further than if you used regen to regulate your speed going down hill and then driving out onto the plain until you used up all the electricity you had stored up in the battery while going down hill. That is because 25 to 30 % of the kinetic energy you were storing got lost as heat.) On more level driving, just accelerate as much as you need to to get to the point where you can coast for a bit. If you accelerate to a higher speed than you need, and then brake, you have unnecessarily lost some kinetic energy due to heat losses from over-acceleration and regen braking.

Audi could use the "right foot rest space" as a promo to distinguish it from Tesla, which cannot coast and requires you to always keep your foot planted on the accelerator.🙂

·
Registered
424 Posts
I don’t know, my preferred driving mode as soon as I start a drive, is to give the regen lever 2 clicks to max and I’m done. It‘s as close to my much preferred one pedal driving style as I’ll get in the E-Tron. Having experienced true one pedal driving before, I’m hooked.

Efficiency wise, it’s also served me very well in the E-Tron. In our 270 mile round trip to upstate NY, my average was 3.1 miles/kWh. I’m very happy with that and better than I ever expected to achieve with the car. :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I like Audi’s way of driving, which allows you to coast when you lift off the accelerator. I have done test drives on Tesla’s and had thought This would be a thing for all EVs, it was a bit strange the first few times driving an EV that wasn’t always using regen. Because of this, I set the vehicle to manual regen and like you hit that paddle twice and then set off. What I didn’t like is when I used it on long highway trips as my leg gets cramped and any lift off means slowing down drastically. It’s strange to say, I found a comfortable driving position in the Sportback I had as a loaner for almost a month however, I still can’t find the same in my vehicle.

For now, I use the auto regen setting and use the paddles to slow down for lights and just coast when I can. I’m taking local street more, when I can as this car will be at 85 (speed of traffic around here or higher) in no time on the highway. At that speed, the efficiency tanks. Hopefully, in time Audi will let us use up to 90KWh (or higher with a small buffer) of the 95 capacity for longer range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts