Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Repair delays for EVs seem to be endemic to the breed. The Tesla, Jaguar and now Audi forums are loaded with stories like this. I don’t know why it’s such an issue with so many brands, but it‘s often at the heart of many buyback scenarios when cars are laid up for weeks and weeks.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Well, from past experience, the Germans as well as other manufacturers typically release in their home market before the US. This is typically a year, with lots of data, upgrades and changes for the next model year build cycle. I figured 2 years (US on sale time) in was a good time to jump in however, seems there are still some growing pains.
This certainly didn't happen with the 2019 E Tron SUV release. The first car was delivered in Germany in March 2019 and the first US cars arrived in June 2019.

·
Premium Member
2022 e-tron GT
414 Posts
Let’s not be naive. More realistically, Audi and legacy makers feel compelled to release new product in order to not get left behind. Confidence in the tech is more accurately described as an equation where the cost of repair/warranty/recall/buyback does not exceed the long term profitability of new car releases even if/when the tech is not ready for prime time. Right now, with inadequate numbers of trained e-tron technicians, and replacement parts supply constraints, Audi (and others) are simply betting on market enthusiasm.

Reactions: mmmzon and Lucken

·
Super Moderator
2019 Edition One
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
If it was not for Tesla and others alike, legacy car manufacturers would only make hybrids, and only that because of Toyota and others offering them and selling a boat load. No company will make products just because it is cool to do so - there has to be market for them.
Sadly, in this case Audi is failing big time. I fail to understand why the whole US does not have a single emergency SOS module in stock to allow my car to be done in 48 hours or so. No, it has to be brought in from Germany. Considering the number of eTrons in US, that is not a good sign for long term availability of spare parts.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I have to make some allowance for Audi having to introduce and expand a new product during a year hit with a world wide pandemic. How do you train E Tron techs when everything is shut down, for example? And, it just isn't Audi with issues on having parts in stock for a quick turnover.

·
Premium Member
2022 e-tron GT
414 Posts
I have to make some allowance for Audi having to introduce and expand a new product during a year hit with a world wide pandemic. How do you train E Tron techs when everything is shut down, for example? And, it just isn't Audi with issues on having parts in stock for a quick turnover.
The same way everyone else did deemed an essential worker was trained: via video and in person. This isn’t that hard if one wants to do it. And everything wasn’t “shut down.” Yes, it was harder and required thought and effort. But it’s not like they lowered the price of cars during the pandemic or extended warranties for an additional year. They still took our money. As for parts constraints, no it’s not just them, but I’m having trouble understanding how that makes it okay to sit on customer cars for weeks without compensation. I’m the first guy to appreciate the loaners I get from my dealer. But a loaner is not compensation for loss of that specific car. The loaner solves the fungible issues: errands, commuting, etc., but it doesn’t make up for the loss of enjoyment. Audi (and others) should be falling all over themselves not merely to fix the car, but to make it right. I.e., make the car right, make the repair right, make the experience right.

·
Premium Member
2022 e-tron GT
414 Posts
Get yourself a Ford. No loaners, no customer care. From that perspective, at least we get loaners ;)
What I wrote above: "I’m the first guy to appreciate the loaners I get from my dealer." I totally appreciate my loaners from my Audi dealer. But it doesn't solve the kind of problems we're discussing here. Don't need to buy a Ford to prove that point, but, BTW, my Lincoln dealer, which happens to also be a Ford dealer of course, always gives us a loaner.

·
Registered
2019 Audi eTron Prestige, 2019 Audi eTron Premium Plus, 2019 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 87 Saleen Mustang
256 Posts
Some Audi dealerships in LA don't have loaners, stopped during COVID, or they don't have that many loaners available. None of them have eTron loaners any more. So I'm appreciative- even when I end up with a Q3 b/c it's far better than the GMC SUV they gave me one time or the Nissan Frontier Pickup.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Edition One
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
even when I end up with a Q3 b/c it's far better than the GMC SUV they gave me one time or the Nissan Frontier Pickup
Fair point. Curing COVID lockdown, they did have loaners in here but ... no people to clean them in time so availability was somewhat more limited. Now it seems it is back to business as usual.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Well, this past weekend I drove from the Willamette Valley over to the Oregon Coast. On the drive through the Coastal Range, there is a true Dead Spot for WiFi and cell service---about 20 miles from the 101 intersection. On the way over I got the dreaded SOS Call system failure. I spent two nights on the coast and did not use the car at all (I had to recharge the battery at an L2 station in order to make the trip back comfortably). When I started the car up to return the "SOS CALL" error had cleared. On the drive back, passing through the same area, the error happened again. I don't know if it makes a difference, but this time I made several stops along the way. After overnight at home, the error STILL has not cleared. May be time to contact Audi Service.

·
Registered
2019 Audi eTron Prestige, 2019 Audi eTron Premium Plus, 2019 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 87 Saleen Mustang
256 Posts
oh no- guess, i'll be waiting for my turn.....

·
Registered
256 Posts
Did this resolve the issue? In the description that gets cut off- sounds like after replacing the Roof antenna, the SOS light was still out?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Edition One
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Did this resolve the issue? In the description that gets cut off- sounds like after replacing the Roof antenna, the SOS light was still out?
What they mean is (likely) that the warning on the dash is no longer on. The SOS light on the top is on, as it should be (meaning, it is active), but no warnings on the dash.
Have you checked to make sure there are no rattles following the 'remove & reinstall'. That's the thing that I always live in fear of.
I did drive it quite vigorously on the way out of the dealership and no unusual rattles / noise. In fact, since I do have the acoustic glass, it is much more quiet than the loaner I was driving. I kept on trying to fish any street noises. I forgot already how good it feels.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts